A Dark Souls Thread ft. Bloodborne and, begrudgingly, Sekiro (2020 4 phase boss fight mix ft. McGarnagle stomping Bloodborne in his sleep)

oh no way, I’m going to have to play with pepi the frog cunts? I’m out

It’s optional. I never use it.

ok gonna add it to my steam wishlist…progress!

The first game is a masterclass in environmental storytelling. Every weapon, every enemy, every item is in it’s place for a reason. This is the kind of game where a boss uses a certain weapon and the fans spend years speculating as to what that means in terms of his/her affiliations and life story. Even the gamey mechanics like death and resurrection and the way multiplayer works is woven into the story and themes. In terms of holistic game design it’s unsurpassed.

It’s probably the most influential game of it’s generation. It’s worth playing just to see where so many games being released now nicked things from.

You don’t have to play with others at all. But you can.

You can’t hear what summoned characters are saying and I have never in four games encountered a problem with online players you’ve summoned to help being dicks. It’s the best online community really (maybe because other players are silent).

Some of the best times I’ve had though have been when I’ve summoned a mate of mine and we’ve had voice chat on separately. So good to help your friend defeat a boss!

No one can speak to you, and you can speak to no one. On the 360 they disabled voice chat entirely. It’s meant to be a lonely experience.

3 Likes

Remember the Bonfireside Chat folks noting that when you eventually stop playing it’s effectively because your character has gone hollow - it’s incredible

2 Likes

guys you’re making me want to buy and play this probably terrible over-hyped game!

1 Like

That’s the shortest gap between bosses in the game FFS! :wink:

In all seriousness, I think the zen state I entered to systematically destroy the boss of that area was when I truly fell in love with the game. But if it ain’t for you, it ain’t for you.

1 Like

better be at least as good as Vagrant Story

I feel like I play it safe with every run through in terms of the equipment I use. Currently at the depths on a NG+ with my level 100 lad, most of the points on strength and endurance, rocking a black night sword +5. What are some very good weapons I should look at enhancing?

If you’ve gone pure strength have a go with some of the hammers. I quite liked the Dragon’s Tooth because it’s such a ridiculous weapon. And I quite liked cosplaying as Havel, only with an onion bro helm. Float like a slug, sting like a death star.

3 Likes

How many switches are gonna be smashed on the floor when you make a little mistake and lose a million souls

Can’t work out if this game sounds great or horrible. I’ve got 5 months to decide, at least.

Why would you be carrying round a million souls?

Exaggeration for comedic effect

3 Likes

The combat is very methodical, it’s not about being fast or using combos, it’s about keeping your shield up, watching your stamina and getting a hit in when you see an opportunity. Patience is important as even the early enemies that you’ve killed repeatedly can punish you if you are careless.

The story is not told in cut scenes, it’s all hidden away in item descriptions. You can play the whole game and not really know what’s going on, or you can piece it all together by reading and making notes. It’s entirely up to you how much you take away from it.

I was all set to sell it on ebay after a week because I was getting frustrated. Restarted after asking for some advice on forums and it’s now my favourite game ever. If you start it and become pissed off I’m sure there will be lots of DS wankers like myself on here that will be glad to give a spoiler free hand.

And the community as a whole is usually pretty decent. If you need to summon help for a boss, the person you bring in is there to do exactly that and it only benefits them if you win. Communication is via gestures not talking so you won’t have to hear any objectionable opinions, the worst you might get is a sarcastic point at the ground.

Sorry, that was more than 2 paragraphs!

7 Likes

Broken straight sword

3 Likes

It’s both!

2 Likes

quite like the idea of going through it with the help of DiS tbh :slight_smile:

2 Likes