A Dark Souls Thread ft. Bloodborne and, begrudgingly, Sekiro (2020 4 phase boss fight mix ft. McGarnagle stomping Bloodborne in his sleep)

Still blown away by the fact that ds2 is the runt of the litter and is still a 9/10 game.

What a series.

3 Likes

For the most part, I think I really like this game. But boy, it also does some real dick moves in terms of navigating thin ledges and is a bit glitchy.

For example, in Unbead Burg I realised I needed short weapons or something I could jab with, as my sword was hitting the walls of the tight corridors I fought in before they could reach the enemy. Which was incredible attention to detail and so smart. Really made me adore those early fights and wait for the killing strike.

But at other times, such as the Crystal Caves entrance I was at last night, I’m hiding behind a tree or pillar and unable to lay a finger on a foe, whereas their weapon just appears through the middle of the object and kills me. Happened a lot in the O&S fight too and those giant knights leading up to it.

If you’re going to be this anal about weapon reach, environments, etc then you have to be consistent.

Hanging around the cathedral bonfire and getting summoned every couple of minutes :pray::sun_with_face:

3 Likes

Excellent stuff. Sun bro times are just the best of times.

1455254499_MAWR%20SUN

4 Likes

When you guys play through DS, do you have several weapons on the go for different situations? Like a fire weapon, lightning weapon, etc. Or do you stick with one and brute force your way through with that? Been quite stubborn so far in sticking with my greataxe but wondering if I’m going about it wrong.

I mostly stick to one or two that fit my play style and then grudgingly swap in if I particularly need to. I think in my first play through I had the same black Knight sword for about two thirds of the game.

1 Like

Did you guys kill Priscilla in the Painted World?

• Yes
  • No
  • Both on different playthroughs

0 voters

And why?

Left her alone on the first playthrough as I didn’t kill anything that didn’t attack me first. I’m nice like that.

Second play through I wiped out pretty much everything that looked killable just to see what happened.

1 Like

Couldn’t bring myself to do it. When she said ‘this is a peaceful place’ though I called bullshit. Literally everyone there tried to kill me in seconds.

3 Likes

This is the exact opposite of my approach. First time through kill absolutely everything and don’t proceed to the next area until I’ve done it.

WFH today, so had a couple of quick runs at it after lunch. You get more souls from those two in NG+ than I know what to do with.

I’m really struggling with this again. Not in terms of difficulty. I’m barely losing to most enemies now and recent bosses have gone down in two or three goes, but I think the level design has gone to shit.

Catacombs wasn’t too bad, though disorientating. But Dukes Archives lacked distinguishing features and Crystal Caves and Tomb of the Giants have pulled some dirty, cheap tricks.

Loved Painted World but since Sens Fortress, I really haven’t dug much else? Is this just me or is this common?

About 80 hours in. Feel I should have beaten it by now!

I get what you’re saying but I still think you’ve got some really cool bits still to come, especially the level design of the final bit.

I won’t bail this far in, but this whole chunk has been wearisome. I just haven’t found the past 10 hours or so either challenging, enjoyable or rewarding. I have merely stumbled around in the dark memorising my footsteps, hoping I’m going to find a wall to cling to or a bonfire. It’s a total dick move. I’m sure there is some weapon I can get that gives me some light, but I’ve no idea where…

Also, what was that boss with the 3 theatrical masks about! Was I supposed to find him hours ago, because he died within 2 hits?!

Nah that boss is a piece of piss if you hit him early enough. If you give him time he clones himself and can Fuck you up but if you go in blazing he’s doomed.

There are a couple of things that can illuminate the area, a spell and a lantern, a good wiki is your friend here and it’ll be much less frustrating!

1 Like

I’ve been trying to not use wiki so much lately as it seems like everytime I do, I feel like I’m robbing myself of why the game is good and cheating. But it’s so bloody obtuse at times I’m not sure how you’re supposed to beat it otherwise!

It’s a balancing act, I think as long as you’ve explored an area first before hitting the wiki you get the best of both worlds. There’s no point having it all explained in advance but equally there’s no point bashing your head against a brick wall either. A lot of bits in this game you simply aren’t expected to get without community support and having such a helpful and supportive community is one of the joys of the game.

3 Likes

Re-started Bloodborne last week after months of giving these games a rest… I’m fucking shit again. Took me a century to beat that Father Gascoigne dickhead. On the other hand the regular fellas mulling around are pretty shit themselves.

I think it’s fairly common, although I did enjoy the Duke’s Archives. Where you’ll find some more interesting and challenging areas now is in the DLC…

Also, I know it’s shitty but there’s also a hat you can get (may already have) which helps massively in the Tomb of the Giants. When did you last meet Solaire?

Hmmmm… Probably when I summoned him for O&S? Thanks for the advice though, appreciate it!

After a night where I spent ages trekking around in the dark to find a new bonfire, I realised I’d actually just done a huge loop in the dark and found the first one again, so I went through my entire inventory and found a Skull Lantern. Didn’t do anything though. But I soldiered on in the dark and made it to the boss. And died instantly.

Then last night I watched a stream and realised I had to hold the lantern in a different hand and that the skeletons in the boss battle will keep reforming unless I downgrade a low level club I have to a Divine weapon. That was enough to almost make me snap my Switch in two, so I put it down for the evening and will return again soon. I mean, honestly…

Try hanging back right at the beginning of the level, and turtling til his death storm wipes them all out. Seem to remember if you don’t venture too far in you won’t rile too many of them.

I didn’t have a divine weapon my first playthrough. Felt good to complete that whole area without one and learn about it. Conversely, the lantern didn’t drop on my last playthrough and I couldn’t be arsed without it and stopped.

1 Like