A Dark Souls Thread ft. Bloodborne and, begrudgingly, Sekiro (2020 4 phase boss fight mix ft. McGarnagle stomping Bloodborne in his sleep)

Yeah I saw a lot of entitled ‘it’s not going to be exactly the same’ whinging and a lot of ‘it’s not been changed enough’ fussing. Whatever. I personally cannot wait!

1 Like

Just wrapping the main story up now then off to the punishing world of DLC.

This game is so odd. The start is NO FUN. For such a long time, especially with the remixed enemies around Heides Tower of Flame. So many brown mulchy levels, too many bosses, the game then either adjusting to be incredibly easy or Fucking Ridiculous. Still find myself drawn to it

Also some of the level/world design. I know it’s been talked about to death but Good Grief.

2 Likes

I know it’s been said a million times but the elevator up to lavatown. I hope someone got a severe talking to about that.

The first section on SOTFS really is a complete bastard as well. “Let’s take this flawed game and make it almost unbearable to play for the first few hours!” Yeah, cheers for that.

2 Likes

I would quite like to retire in a little cottage in Majula though.

4 Likes

Happy Remaster Day everyone! Going to be rushing home from school and waiting by the post box today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

JFC the dlc for dark souls 2 is so bastard hard I’d forgotten! Elina the Squalid Queen when she summons in that big boss dude from the undead crypt! Those 3 lads in the cave of the dead! All made harder by the fact that no fucker is playing this game anymore so I can only summon NPC’s to help me and they’re useless.

The level design and feel is so much better than most of the main game though. It’s a joy.

3 Likes

Still have my switch preorder, no idea if they’ve announced a release date yet though? Frustrating.it was basically my motivation for buying the console.

There isn’t a number high enough for how many tries it took me to beat the bastard Fume Knight. Felt like a pretty big man when I finally did it.

4 Likes

Oh no I’d forgotten about him. Might have to use a soul vessel and change my sourcerer dude into some sort of muscle man. This isn’t really working out for me.

The bell’s a bit much atm :wink: Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed my romp through the undead burg and undead parish this evening. Met one of those bulbous insect fellas, which has never happened on any of my previous playthroughs.

Still just says summer sadly.

Still waying up whether to spend £18 on what basically amounts to a game I have already played but in 60fps… probably will but am going to regret it.

She’s the most trouble I’ve ever had with a Souls boss. Must have died 100 times to her. The NPC summons are completely useless. They just die within a minute leaving a buffed boss for you to deal with.

The dlc is generally excellent though. Think there’s actually one that I never got around to playing through…

3 Likes

Really can’t decide whether to wait for the Switch version or not. Love the idea of playing Dark Souls on the Switch, buuut if I go for the ps4 version I could be playing it tonight.

• Be patient and wait for the Switch version
  • Take my money PSN

0 voters

JOIN ME IN THE ETERNAL WAIT

Though I have a PS3 with it so I can still play it

download

4 Likes

I’ve been browsing through the vanilla Gaming Thread and been constantly disappointed by the complete lack of any Dark Souls chat (yeah, I know there are tags warding us away like incense burners). Looks like I totally forgot that this thread existed.

I got DSRemastered on PS4 on launch day and have been playing it since. Have completed it twice before on 360, but I barely use that machine so a copy on this gen was in order. It is a complete delight.

I kind of glad that they just give it a bit of oil on the wheels and a new lick of paint. I was half expecting them to go full DS3/Bloodborne clutter/pots/crates/statues/ornaments in every room. As satisfying as it is to go on a rolling spree through that sutff, I reckon it would have detected from the sparse and empty desolation that Dark Souls absolutely nails.

Anyways, started as a Deprived and got to the bell gargoyles without dying, which I was not expecting, and was astonished by the amount of summon signs outside the church in the parish, and around the ladders leading to the roof battle. The bell was ringing every 30 seconds or so. So many people playing it. Such a joy to behold. Anybody who is considering holding off buying it, i’d say just go for it. It’s such a different experience with so many players online. I got invaded about 6 times whilst human and helping others others out. That’s more in one sitting than I ever got invaded on the 360 in months.

Became a full sun bro and have been helping newbies with the bosses, and absolutely rinsing souls and sunlight medals. Leveled up in the covenant and got the Great Sunlight Spear. Decided to progress and did Lower Burg, the Depths and Darkroot in one sitting. It’s unbelievable how proficient you become at the game after prolonged playing, and it never leaves you. It’s like riding a bike. You don’t forget how to play it.

Stats-wise, i’m going Faith/Pyroamncy, which are classes i’ve never really dabbled in before, with a bit of strength for melee. +5 Reinforced Club. Breaking shields and poise all day.

I’ve also decided to do a nude run and not use any armour to keep things tense and interesting. Also plenty of opportunity for humour. I’ve started a chronicle of getting a screenshot of each NPC staring at my bum cheeks and sending the image to my mate (who doesn’t really get Dark Souls), with captions like “Mothersfuckers can’t get enough of this solid crease” and “You can’t handle how this bott-bott makes u feel” (those were for Petrus of Thorokund and Rhea of Thorolund respectively) Thanks to Oswald of Carims “arms open” stance, I managed to angle the camera so it looks like he’s grabbing my arse. Maybe you had to be there.

Anyways, I workied my way down through Blighttown (proper adult route down… none of this master key back door for scared children through New Londo). Glorious, glorious frame rate. Still absolutely hate those blow darts toxic bastards. Fuck those guys. It only takes 2 darts to get me toxic since i’m nude and have no defences. Was a good laugh swimming in the poison swamp at the bottom. So many purple mosses eaten and Estus drank. Helped out some newbs with Chaos Kellog Spider. She’s way easier than I remembered. Might go and do Catacombs and Darkroot Basin next, instead of Sens. Mix it up a bit.

What a game.

In other Soulsy news, I got platinum trophy on Bloodborne last week. Such a sense of achievement. What a weapon the whirligig is. It almost overtook Dark Souls for best From Software game, and then I played this remaster and remembered why that could never be the case. It is very close though.

My PSN name is bastfastard if anyone wants an add.

We’ll probably never play together because time zones, but I like looking at other people’s trophies and stuff, so go for it. I think i’m already friends with a couple of dudes from DiS anyways, and we have interacted zero times, but that’s what best friends are for.

Long post.

TL;DR - DARK SOULS!

6 Likes

Ha sounds like you’re much more proficient at the game than I am! I was feeling pleased about having rung both bells but I died a fair few times doing it. Have done the moonlight butterfly too but now embarking on sen’s fortress and it feels like a REAL step up in difficult. Going for a Dex build and I’ve got an estoc +8 as my main weapon but it makes almost no damage to those snake head gits. I have to hit them each about ten times without getting hit once myself, it’s challenging!