A Dark Souls Thread ft. Bloodborne and, begrudgingly, Sekiro (2020 4 phase boss fight mix ft. McGarnagle stomping Bloodborne in his sleep)

Also feel really bad for slaughtering all these gardeners though. Just doing their job like.

1 Like

Thanks, might have a look at the rings later but generally I’m happy with the set up, I did notice one increases critical hit but am unsure of juggling the rings.

you can always revert back, you might as well make the best build you can with the tools you are given otherwise you might be at it for another week!

-chloranthy is good for stamina regeneration, even though you have a massive stamina bar it’s always nice if it refills faster as this is a fast fight
-hornet ring is good for increasing critical damage - backstabs
-Lloyd’s shield/sword - only provide boosts if you are at full HP so might be of no use as you have a huge health bar and it’s impossible to keep at full HP
-frostbite ring - good for negating the damage from those ice sprays Friede does

you’re still rolling 11 flasks out of a possible 15 - I’d be kicking myself if I got deep into phase 3 and ran out, missed out on those last possible 4

none of these should affect your movement as such, that’s more dictated by how heavy your armor is. Check your equip load too (stay under 70%) - there’s a chance you can equip slightly better defensive armor without sacrificing roll speed (you’ll have to forget about fashion until this fight is over)

also resins - lightning can be bought from Firelink and this boss is weak to lightning - you can easily add 50-100 damage to each attack

1 Like

This is super helpful, thanks. Pretty sure I have the hornet ring equipped, will look again later…

1 Like

Sticking my nose in here. I noticed the other night that you’re quite often totally out of stamina and only able to get one hit in on the final phase. Chloranthy Ring plus Grass Crest Shield together will make a massive difference to this.

If I had a Vertebra Shackle for every boss I’ve done this on I’d have… Well, let’s just say I wouldn’t have had to spend an hour fruitlessly farming big Skellys last night.

3 Likes

Why has no one ever said about Marakeet being such a hard bastard?! I really had to think about his moveset, much more than any other boss in 1 or 2. Four Kings were wimps compared to this guy! Gough is a top bloke though.

3 Likes

Such a satisfying boss I thought - tough but fair, and really fun once you got the moveset down. And the whole build up to it and arena is cool too.

1 Like

Oh yeah, it’s great, just never seems to be discussed! Actually made me feel justified for having the shield equipped this whole time! It was very reminiscent of Sekiro for me - working out each move one at a time, and going from being baffled by their seeming impossibility to getting excited by trying something that you think might work. Was really fair like you say - nothing that you couldn’t avoid once you’ve got a method.

1 Like

Classic DS chat coming up…

I found Kalameet pretty easy, tbh. Four or five attempts the first time and not much more on NG+ to get his tail.

Manus, on the other massive hand, took me significantly longer than midnightpunk Vs Friede.

Same. Kalameet’s bark is worse than his bite, but Manus is an absolute horror show. Last time I did the DLC I cheesed him because I just couldn’t face it again.

1 Like

tail cut is the true boss tbh

:exploding_head: If he’s worse than Orphan I will die (more than I did for that, which was a LOT!).

in some ways he’s quite similar actually, hadn’t thought about it before because the environments are so different, but they’re both very fast, very unpredictable and extremely brutal. Have fun!

1 Like

I had to think about his moves a lot more than I have for any other boss in the game - most of them, except for O&S I guess, are quite limited and you can get away with a fair bit of mindless spamming without being punished!

1 Like

Noooooo! Think I’ll have to mess around with my set up then because I’m a bit of a tank at the moment!

1 Like

Reckon I died at least 200 times to the Orphan (after being one hit away on the second attempt, of course) and I’d say Manus is harder.

1 Like

Faaaaaack, why did I ever invite this comparison?! Find it really surprising because the first games have generally been slower, more clearly telegraphed etc. Was enjoying the less brutally slow pace!

I’ve never had trouble with Manus :wink:

But never bothered gitting gud with Kalameet as it didn’t seem fun. My patience for very hard optional bosses is low!

1 Like

i don’t really like it. i’ve said i do here, i sometimes convinced myself i do for a bit, i even buy more of them. but i don’t really like it. in fact, i hate it.

I’d say the opposite to Cosh. Always find Orphan faster and more unpredictable. Then Aphex had no trouble with Manus but couldn’t do Kalameet who is much more predictable (IMO).

Basically, as throughout them all, there’s no way of knowing straight up which ones will click straight away. Definitely doable if you’ve done the rest. There is an NPC that can help but their summon is in the boss room.

1 Like