A Gaming Thread For 2017

Ooh, literally seconds after I replied, I saw a link to this early access Let’s Play of Long War 2, apparently it’s due very, very soon … LONG WAR 2 - Infiltration, Haven Management, Technical Class - Let's Play XCOM 2 Long War 2 - Part 1 - YouTube

Long War 2 is out now. I am well excite.

My, that was very soon…

I think I’ll hold off for a bit. I’m not ready to dive back in yet. Ambient space mining seems to be more my speed atm. Sounds like it could be amazing though.

This reminds me. I need to go watch the trailer again.

Here you go:

NEED. TO. PLAY. THIS.

NOW.

https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE

That any better? If not, I give up…

Youtube embedding is broken - I got caught out with it earlier today and @1101010 took a screenshot within about 20 seconds. The android git :wink:

Ratchet and Clank is good fun. It’s scratching the itch I wanted Uncharted 4 to scratch. Platforming is simple but flowing, combat is pretty straightforward, but not patronisingly so, and is geared to making sure you need to switch up your weapons (which have some well-implemented upgrade paths). A good foil to Dark Souls and the increasing stress of ranked rocket league.

1 Like

Completed Rayman Legends. Can’t claim to have 100%ed this - got 290 odd trophies - but think I’ve done everything I want to now; just got the Origins levels left unplayed (I have already completed that game) and (presumably) the true final, final level you unlock when you collect every trophy.

What a game. An utter joy from start to finish. Colourful, imaginative, hilarious, varied and utterly gorgeous. Not sure I’ve ever seen a better art directed platformer and it made my recent revisit to NSMBU feel very drab. There were many times where I died because I was too busy staring at background animation details or laughing at the quirky little touches.

I find the floaty, looser mechanics a little less my cup of tea than Mario or Guacamelee but conversely they do allow for some amazing speed runs when you revisit those brilliant Invaded levels. The music stages are inspired, the gamepad usage very clever, the secret areas devious and the bosses a highlight. Was also surprised to find the daily online challenges still updating and people taking part; had a blast doing a few of those.

May go back and pick up some of the trickier trophies at some point but feel like I’ve loved every minute of Legends to date, so going to try and squeeze in one more Wii U game before Zelda arrives…

been playing all the silent hill games

Silent Hill (8/10)
Silent Hill 2 (10/10)
Silent Hill 3 (7/10)
Silent Hill 4: The Room (4/10)
Silent Hill: 0rigins (6/10)
Silent Hill: Homecoming (5/10)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (4/10)
Silent Hill: Downpour (6/10)

just got ‘book of memories’ left to play but don’t wanna shell out for a PS Vita and it will probably be the worst by some degree

Wow, thats an undertaking!

I really enjoyed Shattered Memories on the Wii. I thought it was really intriguing. The chap who wrote it also came up with Her Story.

Cane and Rinse have done good podcasts on all the Silent Hill games if that interests you.

I’m 70% through and am still enjoying this as much as Definitive TR. The tombs are great but the story is pretty wank. I do like treasure hunting. I also shot a mountain lion in the face with my shotgun yesterday.

Think I wouldn’t be so hard on SM if it didn’t have the words Silent Hill on the front, but like most of the later games it either doesn’t understand what Silent Hill is or actively tries to retcon the entire plot of the series.

I started listening to the Cane and Rinse podcast for SH2 but the main host had never played it before and was a bit mystified why people like it so i didn’t bother.

This undertaking reminds me…

@Xylo I think it was you that was doing something similar with the Zelda games? Did you ever finish it?

Did you play Link’s Awakening? I’m never sure if that’s my favourite because it was my first Zelda, because it’s a technical marvel or whether I’m right and it’s genuinely underrated.

The thing bothered me with Phantom Hourglass which was having it send me back to that central tower over and over again. A lot of smart design went into that game though, definitely and the plotting is as good as any.

I loved Link’s Awakening. I really like when the Zelda games try to do something a bit tonally different. And the weird slightly wacky dream stuff in that was really cool.

What do people make of Twilight Princess? I’m thinking about buying the Wii U version on payday.

I played the Wii version and didn’t get more than 5/6 hours in. I remember hating the controls, but also not being attached to everything else. So dissapointed after Wind Waker but I want to give it another chance.

Was gonna order Watch Dogs 2 this morning, give it plenty of chance to turn up in time for my two days off at the end of next week.

Went onto Amazon - “This item is exclusively for Prime members”.

Fuck off.

yeah i only finished the wii version begrudgingly, the controls drove me mad. i recently played it on gamecube and it was much better but still not an amazing game really. just another 6/10 addition to the series.

oh what the heck, wasn’t meant to be a response to xylo