A Gaming Thread For 2017

Asylum is so much tighter and focused than City. There isn’t really a chance to get bored… also the scarecrow sections (particularly how they’re introduced] are nothing short of genius. Stand out as among the best moments in any video game I’ve ever played.

3 Likes

strong praise indeed!

I probably already have it on steam…no idea how I ended up with so many games.

Really should check out what’s in this month’s Humble Monthly too

I told you this would happen, dont say I didnt warn you :smiley:

yeah I think I might have to cancel it now, I’m paying for and buying games and not touching them in a whole year!

ridiculous

Yup I cancelled Humble Monthly as well, until I have a chance to catch up with the past 7

It really is excellent. Asylum is so well paced and considered. Plot makes sense in the scheme of the environment and there are countless reasons a la Metroid to revisit old areas.

The people who ported City to the Wii U are supposedly busy right now porting a game to Switch it leaked this week. I’m hoping it’s Asylum!

1 Like

I can only echo everyone else, but yeah, Asylum is so well-woven. It feels lean in the best sense. The story has a purity as well, and I’m not even into superhero-ey stuff. City was a massive slide into open world bloat unfortunately.

1 Like

Haha, I think the game probably serves that kind of pace really well - it’s not one you can really blast through.

Origins got a lot of grief for feeling emptier than City but that’s what I liked about it. City was amazing for those initial hours but soon became hard to navigate or decode. I also spent 70% of the game in detective wire frame mode so I could see what the hell was going on, something I only fleetingly did in Asylum.

I found some waypoints and entrances to buildings in City nigh on impossible to find too.

Looks amazing. Better combat. Terrible plot. Whereas Origins lost out on looks, it had great boss battled and a compelling story.

Had my first random add me as a friend just to spout abuse at me in Eternal, which I think means I’m doing something right.

Got the latest Stellaris DLC yesterday but haven’t fired it up yet. I think I’ll do the housework before getting started.

Started Nier Automata last night. Fair to say I have not got to grips with it yet. At all. Keep reaching the first boss, dying and being thrown right back to the start because you can’t save a game until after you’ve beaten it. That’s not an infuriating game mechanic, is it?

As far as game design goes it’s a disaster. Set it to easy, turn on automatic firing and beat the boss then set it up back up to whatever difficulty you currently have it set as. You’ll be happy to hear that save points are generous after that

1 Like

video games are good

3 Likes

Which is the first boss? You can save in pretty much any area marked white on the map, so very early on you can basically save anywhere.

Cooled down from the amazing double hit of playing The Last Guardian and Uncharted 4 by cultivating a minor Fifa 17 addiction, it’s almost time to jump back into something narrative based, what do you guys reckon? I own all of these:

• GTA V
  • The Witcher 3
  • Persona 5
  • Mad Max
  • Rocket League (Already started and I know this is similarly neverending to FIFA but I’d like to become somewhere in the realm of ‘reasonably not shit’ at it)

0 voters

Tried that, and it worked a treat. Thanks!

Stayed up too late playing Stellaris, as you do. Seems to have a few more systems than when I played it at launch.

Also discovered that I get 15 fps if I’m logged in to my Paradox account in the launcher but steady 60 fps if I’m not, so it’s definitely still a typical Paradox game.

1 Like

Can’t get my head around sectors. I’ve built up a fairly impressive-sized empire with my bird communists, but I feel like I’m not hauling in as much seed as I should be because most of it is partitioned off into bits I can’t directly rule, and never seem to build anything. Frustrating because I’m definitely at the stage where nothing’s going to happen unless I start thoroughly liberating some fascists, and I’m not building my fleet fast enough.

have you noticed anything obviously written by Alexis Kennedy (Sunless Sea writer) yet?

THE WORM is very definitely Sunless Sea flavoured.