A Gaming Thread For 2017

Interesting piece that, cheers. Sounds like the law is struggling to keep up and we’re in a wild west phase until it gets to grips with the issue. Big devs are in a bad place when gamers are signing petitions for more regulation of the industry though. I know AAA games cost an insane amount to produce but there has to be a better way of making money.

1 Like
3 Likes

Hacked mine yesterday.
Easy peasey. Got stuck into Chrono Trigger.
I know you can emulate it on everything but using a ‘real’ snes pad etc is just so good.
The hack (like the nes mini one) also adds a great feature Nintendo overlooked - getting back to the main menu without having to get up and walk over to the device and hit the reset button.
The fact Nintendo left the same hack flaw in this as the the Nes Mini is basically me thinking theyre ok with us doing this.

I haven’t tried hacking mine yet, going to play more of the games already on it first.

So it’s easy to do? I worry about messing these kind of things up.

It’s really easy to do. You can dump the kernel first with the hakchi tool so it means you can go back to factory default if you fancy. Once done it adds a folder icon after Yoshis island, select this and it launches into a menu for the additional games so compartmentalizes them nicely. Stuck Chrono Trigger, Mario Allstars, Super Star Wars games and Turtles In Time on it. Only tested Chrono and All Stars but both worked fine.
In terms of the regular games on there Ive been playing through Super Metroid - a lot easier now than when I was a kid!

2 Likes

Cool. I’ll give it a go.

Yeah I’m playing Metroid and Mana both easier (and in Mana’s case shorter) than I remember!

Tried a wee bit of Mana and pretty decent. Square were on fire during the 90s weren’t they!
Trying to think of other great Snes games to put on there. Tempted to replace SFII Turbo with Super SF2 Turbo.

pilotwings
bomberman

1 Like

Life is strange before the storm episode 2 is out October 19th! Can’t wait.

Not sure whether to get the evil within 2 tomorrow. Didn’t like the first one but on paper it was made for me. Hopefully the sequel fixes my niggles

The hd collection on PS3 is ‘fine’. Emulating the ps2 version is best. OG Xbox version is good too

Sitting on these for now so I can binge it in the future

1 Like

I didn’t even realise EW2 was out (barely even heard anything about it tbh). Quite liked the first; what’s new with this sequel?

Speaking of horror, hoping to start Resi 7 this weekend!

Looks more open gameplay wise, stronger story, better shooting etc. Trailers have been great. Probably shite tho

Oh yeah, I’ve been hammering Black Flag AC on PS3 lately. I’ve never liked assassin creed, and having recently finished 2 I didn’t think I ever would. But this is great. Really great.

Lads - I think I’ve sorted your weekend plans:

1 Like

Tempted to watch…

1 Like

Thanks again for this recommendation. Had forgotten how much fun a good old fashioned platformer can be. Reminded me quite a bit of a few of the platformers of my youth, Metroid and Oddworld being the obvious ones.

1 Like

I played the first one to completion just to see how much more stupid it could get. I’ll still probably cave in and get this one too because it does have an indefinable sort of charm.

I enjoyed the sort of knowing stupidity of the first one; the results didn’t always appeal to me as much as other parts, but I was surprised how much I felt it worked that the game was essentially just a variety of horror tones and ideas loosely tied together by a load of bonkers stuff about brain experiments

Yeah, it was total pell-mell craziness with the loosest pretext! All the horror elements really fell flat for me though. As an action adventure type thing it was quite enjoyable.