A Gaming Thread For 2017

Have I dribbled off in here lately? Just finished GTA5’s storyline after two attempts at the whole thing - a couple of years apart. Gotta be honest, felt a bit disappointed with the big end. CBA playing online, cos people are twats, but do enjoy just loading it and pottering about aimlessly. We fired up Red Dead on a re-play, and man the controls are infuriating. Just little things like being RIGHT NEAR SOMETHING and pressing triangle doesn’t interact with it until you’re at the perfect angle, and the sun is shining through the gap in the wall at three minutes past the solstice.

New AssCreed looks good… don’t have to have played any of the others yet though do you? I’ve played a bit of 2 then binned it off. Sounds like the Desmond/FakeReality/VR/Memories stuff was such a load of wank that I really can’t be arsed getting back into it… ditto MGS5 back in the day. Don’t remember,. can’t understand, fuck off.

Just wanna get lost in a world for hours á la Skyrim, GTA, RDR without having to know the previous eight installments.

I reckon the side quests are essential because they unveil the world - they’re like the frame for it, and it is absolutely fucking magnificent looking as you say! Can’t remember what any of them were about though.

1 Like

Traded Destiny 2 in and got the Dishonoured and Uncharted ‘expansions’ today while being completely ignorant of tomorrow’s delights…Can’t justify getting any more games now - neoooooooo!

The Witcher 3 and the 2 DLC packs are perfect for losing yourself tbh, every square foot of the world is bursting with history, lore, character and stuff to do. I totally become Geralt of Rivera when I’m playing that game. You can spend hours just finding random NPCs to play Gwent with, or pick a location and ride for it, knowing you’re guaranteed random encounters and/or side quests along the way. Feels like the world carries on whether you’re playing or not, pretty remarkable.

2 Likes

Now top of the list, thank you! No previous Witcher lore knowledge required?

None, and I’d never played any Witcher before 3. The characters mention the odd thing from past games here and there but it adds to the sense of the world being “lived in” rather than making you think you missed something.

3 Likes

Thinking about Hearts of Stone again now. So fucking good.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ, that bit where you let the dead brother possess you and go to the party. First time I’ve ever genuinely lol’d at a videogame. “I’ve wrestled a pig or two in my time.” :laughing::laughing:

Did you play Blood and Wine? Was lol’ing like a right berk at times, near-perfect way to end the whole thing.

Started a New Game+ a few months ago, I should go back to it :thinking:

1 Like

I got about halfway through it, then quit because something else came out. With the giant region it came wrapped up with, it felt more diffuse than the other DLC, which meant I didn’t feel the same impulsive urge to finish it. Which isn’t to say I wasn’t enjoying it - its evocation of South France and its history/mythology is wonderful, fond and instantly recognisable. But the problem with putting something like the Witcher to one side is that the longer you leave it, the heavier it seems to pick back up again. I definitely will at some point though.

I felt like this a bit too.

I finished it but it didn’t have the same compact satisfaction as Heart of Stone.

1 Like

First hour of Wolfenstein 2 done. This game is very deserving of its 18 tag. It’s great

whenever I have a picture I want to share, I just find it on my PS4, share it on twitter, save it from there and delete the tweet if I don’t want it up there forever. my wife used to take lots of photos in Uncharted 4, used to copy them onto a USB stick and then onto her laptop. all a bit clunky really.

1 Like

I’m still playing F1 2017 a lot, having pretty much shunned Project Cars 2 after it ruined one too many races with stupid bugs. I’ve turned all the assists off which makes things a lot more interesting, definitely harder but more rewarding when you do it right, feel much more in control of the car this way.

also dipped back into Hotline Miami 2 the other day, still haven’t completed it, still don’t like it as much as the first game. shame.

I’m wrestling with a pay day game purchase today.

• Horizon Zero Dawn (£49)
  • Shadow of War (£55)
  • The Hunter: Call of the wild (hunting sim, which looks more like a unbelievably beautiful walking sim), dark souls 3 season pass and dying light "the following (£53)

Opinions?

Wolfenstein 2 came out today, just saying is all.

Hmm I’d want to play the other ones first. They are bargain.

Horizon zero dawn is like 20 odd quid these days on websites like the game collection and shopto. Why on earth would you pay 50 quid for a game?

Correction: 30 quid on shopto and amazon

1 Like

Steam halloween sale is ON!!!

Horizon zero dawn is best new rpg I’ve played for ages

1 Like

Yeah but it’s all shit horror games for cunts.