A Gaming Thread For 2017

Doing a new game+ on Arkham Knight and the combat is fucking solid without the spider sense things.

I tried arcane/skill and struggled, gave up on two of the optional bosses, and couldn’t face the dlc. That’s possibly due to my lack of ability and reliance on the axe to beat the game the first time. Did go back (again) to get platinum, relying mainly on the axe, but also enjoyed playing about with the Whirligig for a semblance of variety.

3 Likes

Yeah, the DLC weapons help to add some variety. The Whirligig’s great!

1 Like

I’ve done 6 runs now. Last 3 I’ve done suicide runs into the DLC as soon as possible to get a specific weapon. I did one arcane build which was a bit different but still fundamentally reliant on the usual combat mechanics. Just such an amazing world to fight monsters in.

1 Like

1 Like

Started my proper playthrough of MGSV today. Just escaped the hospital.

What the fuck is going on?

played a fair bit of it and I still don’t have a fucking clue.

Feels like I’ve just watched a load of cut scenes interupted by being told to press some buttons at specific times.

Like a much more violent Parapa The Rapper.

1 Like

oh man give it 3 or 4 hours or so and it’s so amazing!

1 Like

Bin it. Get MGS HD collection instead and play MGS3. God, V makes my blood boil. (It’s a good game really, it was just nothing like the game I wanted after being hyped for years)

Been playing Evil Within 2 all day. Very camp, with plenty of terrible dialogue, but conceptually it’s pretty great. Some fantastic RE4 style scares too.

1 Like

See, here’s the thing. It didn’t have nearly enough cut scenes or story for me, and the story it does have can fucking do one forever.

The MGS games have amazing gameplay, and along with the so-fucking-incredibly-awful-and-nonsensical-it’s-funny stories they’ve created their own tacky, campy, kitschy kind of subgenre within action games.

Hideo Kojima can fuck right off though. That trailer for his new game is the most pretentious shite I’ve seen in some time.

The trailer to death stranding makes me happy to be a fan of his again hahahaha

Also the stories in mgs 1-3 are fucking great.

I’m a bit of a mega fan.

1 Like

think from a conceptual level MGS2 might be the greatest videogame ever

It’s an outstanding piece of work. Arguably the reason I got so into storytelling in film and games as a kid.

I love the gameplay but I sort of enjoy the story the way you’d enjoy Plan 9 From Outer Space.

1 Like

just the audacity of what they did after showing all the trailers with snake in was amazing

2 Likes

Oh aye, yeah. But thematically, philosophically, and in terms of sheer eccentricity etc, there’s so much to them underneath that comical campiness.

2 Likes

this got my hopes up that the HD collection might finally be in the store for ps4 but alas. i want to replay mgs3 so badly

just completed Last of Us (on hard mode, but didn’t get muh hard trophy :frowning: )

what a bloody game.

3 Likes