A Gaming Thread For 2017

I totally forgot about this, thanks for bringing it back to my life <3

I picked up Nier Automata last night, played for about two hours and am already falling for it hard.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying it, haven’t had much time to play it sadly so I’m only a few hours in but I’ve really liked what I have played so far.

I don’t think I’m going to be able to put in any significant time until next Friday, it really strikes me as a game i could lose hours in.
All the podcasts I respect are absolutely gushing over it.

I really want to get on this but I’ll have to wait for it to drop in price a bit. The PC port appears to be all over the place atm anyway so hopefully it’ll be stable by the time I get in.

It’s so good to see Platinum making something big, weird and ambitious again after a few years doing (admittedly rather decent) franchise tie-in games. Love those guys.

I have it on PC and am happy with how it is running. I get some stuttering when it transitions between the various play styles (side scrolling to 3D etc), but otherwise a smooth ride.
I hadn’t paid full price for a game in ages, so was happy to do so with this one, despite a vast and ever expanding backlog.

Damn, and here I was convincing myself not buying it was the sensible option*. Read a long and technical Eurogamer article on it’s issues last night that put me off.

*it still is, I’m blummin’ broke.

Fuuuuck those arachnocunts Hearts of Stone adds. I haven’t met as unpleasant a random mook as that in years, and I’m not even an arachnophobe.

The joys of PC gaming and the impossibility of testing on every rig variant.
It insisted on trying to run with the on-board Intel graphics at about 2 fps, but after I strong armed NVIDIA it was fine.
I’m sure it’ll drop in price soon though, single player games on PC seem to be doing so faster than ever these days.

Actually checking the specs I may have to hang on until I upgrade my set-up anyways. Seeing my graphics card listed as the bare minimum required doesn’t fill me with confidence.

The song at the end is…wow.

I’ve started playing rocket league again as my lil bro was staying with us. I’d managed to kick the habit for a month or so. Still so damn gooood.

I been playing games other than Zelda!

Played a bunch of the splatoon 2 beta and now that’s all I want to play :frowning: Now the beta is over. I started getting really good at it as well :cry:

Blaster Master Zero has been fantastic fun and Human Resource Machine has been a rather wonderful puzzle game.

Don’t.

They make me feel unpleasant just thinking about them.

1 Like

Finished all the Far Harbour missions today.

Planning to spend two weeks on Blood and Wine before giving Dishonoured 2 a proper go after that.

Glad its as good as ever. I bloody love Splatoon.

Seen a lot of thought pieces and tweets this week from journalists saying they’re struggling to go back to playing their home console after owning a Switch for a few weeks now. You found the same?

Interesting how I’m so far less down the road compared to you all on Zelda. Wonder if its in part down to the Switch vs Wii U factor…

Oh Rocket League abuse… How I’ve missed you.

“Team m8 n00b”
“You’ve got 90 points to my 480…”

“Worst m8 ever”
“We’re winning 6-3… I’ve scored half!”

In a way I guess it has. I haven’t played anything on my PC/PS4 since, not sure if it’s just the honeymoon period or if I just enjoy cracking out a game whilst laying on my bed and unexpectedly put in a few hours without even intending to do so a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve certainly played a lot more Zelda whilst laying on my bed whilst sitting up right at a tv. I think it’s just a convenience thing, also the way the console suspends and resumes gameplay is handled so incredibly well that it’s easy to dip in and out.

2 Likes

Based on the portion of it I’ve played (mainly) today, I recommend Night in the Woods to fellow Life is Strange enthusiasts. As with LiS, I was slightly apprehensive because it appears sometimes to lean towards occasionally irritating “Internet-friendly quirk” in the humour and tone.

The more I’ve played though, the more the imaginative and (from what I can tell), detailed, carefully constructed setting and its characters are starting to shine through. Thus far, it’s making use of its interactivity in a pretty neat way, as well.

Can’t be arsed to think of what else to say and how it should be structured in sentences anymore, but yeah it’s good, maaaan.

1 Like

Finally finished Arkham Knight at the weekend. Comfortably the worst of the 4 Arkham Games. Just about everything good about it was stuff that worked in the previous games, that somehow shone through despite the bollocks they’d added to it. And there was a whole lot of just straight up bad stuff to wade through to get to the decent bits.

Next in the backlog: Dishonored (which I’m already halfway through) and The Talos Principle. Also picked up Rainbow Six: Seige over the weekend for no good reason but I’ve yet to give that a go. I expect to be really quite bad at it.