A Gaming Thread For 2017

I’ve never actually played 4, it is another 3D one and not supposed to be that great. Although I did enjoy 3 but it wasn’t the same as the first two. 5 is back to 2D and painted backgrounds.

This. I thought Broken Sword stopped at 3. Ok, Syberia, and all the others may have to wait. Need to see what George and Nico have been upto. Thanks to you and @NickDS for the suggestions though, I’ll come back to them later!

2 Likes

Just recently started online gaming again on my PS4, and have been playing Infinite Warfare (which is great).

I picked up SW Battlefront the other day - was given it as a Christmas present last, last year, but not played it. I was shocked and horrified to see that you need a separate online access pass to play it, which is £24…

Is it worth buying? I’m guessing not. The game looks slick and eveything, but can’t imagine it being that great as an online shooter?

Oh and things like Gemini Rue and Resonance by Wadjet Eye are good pixel graphic games if you fancy something similar to Beneath a Steel Sky (which is actually free on gog.com and so is Flight of the Amazon Queen another great 90’s lucasarts-esque one)

1 Like

If you want a slightly darker tone I’d strongly recommend Gemini Rue. It’s a sci-fi one with a very Blade Runner aesthetic, but the story is really good and I remember the puzzles being quite satisfying.

There’s also a horror sci fi point and click game called Stasis, which I’ve heard some really interesting things about. Bought it in the last steam sale but haven’t got round to playing it yet.

If you haven’t played The Longest Journey before, then you really should. One of my favourite adventure games, if not my favourite game out of them all. That said I’m currently playing its second sequel Dreamfall Chapters, and so far it’s really dissapointing.

2 Likes

I’m midway through doing a new Dark Souls playthrough. Read on below if you like

[spoiler]I did a bad thing and went to Great Hollow / Ash Lake very early on, at a low level and BEFORE getting the Lord vessel. I got cursed at the bottom of the tree and was unable to kill the hydra. Ran to the end of ash lake to where the dragon is, lit the bonfire all ready to warp the fuck out of there. Could I? NO!

It took me around at LEAST an hour to get back past the hydra and up the tree back to Blighttown without dying and having to start all over again. Not cool guys. Don’t do it. I don’t even have anything to show for it, seeing as I was too feeble to actually explore/kill stuff while I was down there[/spoiler]

1 Like

it was fucking shit

I did the exact same thing, only pre-patch when curses scaled. So I was down to 1/4th of a health bar. That was a long day. I was almost certain I’d have to start over, which given how long it’d taken me to even get to Blighttown would have killed the game for me.

It took me many hours to get to that dragon. Realising all I got for my troubles was just some shitty covenant for twats and an even harder run back was really quite upsetting.

2 Likes

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. Not as good as the first, of course, but lots of fun and stunninngg. Also the amount of content is pretty overwhelming.

Started Dishonoured 2 - it’s not really doing anything for me though. I’m trying to be all stealthy and get the gold trophy for being a good boy. Maybe I should fuck that off and actually have fun with it?!

Incredibly, incredibly hyped for Nioh & Resi 7

Tales Form The Borderland!

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need an online access pass as the online component is literally the only aspect of the game. The pass is for the dlc

I’m so glad I’m not alone. The relief at finding those ladders was IMMENSE.

It’s taken me ages to work through Dishonoured 2 without killing anyone or being seen. Am at the penultimate level I think so still a fair bit to do. Wouldn’t want to do it again that way so of you’re early on, I say go rogue and have fun using the powers I’ve had to ignore…

Yeah. I’m one of those people who complain about instant fast travel access on 2&3 but I’d have sacrificed all manner of small fluffy animals to get the hell out of that place.

This week I’ve been mostly pootling about the galaxy on Elite trying to make money out of mining. After several hours I’ve made approximately no money. It’s way more fiddly than courier work for no extra benefits. And yet I’m still enjoying it. Dropping out of supercruise into a planetary ring is just a great feeling.

Oh, and I finally got around to finishing XCOM 2. Only 8 months later than planned. Gonna shove that to one side until the Long War mod is released I think.

Are you sure? It says that I need an EA season pass? I’m also sure that I’ve heard this from other people as well…

Apologies if I’m wrong!

Some content of the game is only accessible if you have the season pass (eg. Death Star mission)
You can still play the base game online without the pass, you’ll just be locked out of certain missions

Ah great, thanks cowtipping (and yesiamaduck).

I WANT TO PLAY ZELDA. NOW.

1 Like

Yeah I was excited to hear about that Long War mod - although I played it and gave up a couple of times on the first game, ironically because it went on a bit too long.