A gaming thread for 2019

3 years off then. At least. So PS5 bound. If it isn’t canned before that.

I have to kind of respect a massive corporation that manages to operate like an insane recluse so frequently without facing total and immediate collapse

2 Likes

like FF15, “it’s a spin off to Final Fantasy 13 guys called Final Fantasy Versus 13 for some reason and it forms its own sub-franchise within the FF13 metafranchise within the FF core franchise which sub-franchise has an absolutely mental name” cut to ten years later “yeah probs going to call it 15 and you play as some scene kids and you can drive round in a car and eat noodles”

1 Like

Drowned in XCom Report 6

A potentially tricky insertion into an Advent city centre to abduct a human collaborator is completed with aplomb. New grenadier @hexagram and Darwin Dude stride across the thoroughfare decorating it with sectoid corpses and fire, whilst Ant hauls the species traitor away. Only an unlucky exploding Purifier ruins a perfect operation.

Resources poured into keeping DiX in plasma grenades and wireless speakers has once again got us running short. Another supply depot raid in Lost territory beckons. Once again, neither the aliens nor the zombies make it easy.

Newbie Jazz Ballet stumbles out of concealment, and winds up bonding with a new friend. The ever reliable Perv gets her out of that, but hordes of Lost and Advent patrols have been alerted. As well as Meowth.

A truly insane number of foes are added to the board as DiX scramble up the map (the heads at the bottom middle of the screen in the first screenshot is how many enemies the unit can see), trying to get to as many crates as possible before Advent can airlift them away. A Mech clocks @anon76851889 sniping from an upper floor and bombs him down to the ground, almost killing him in the same manner Matt Was Taken was, back in the day. Then Meowth flanks and mortally wounds Jazz, who’s having a pretty rotten day. Aggpass is the one to clock the Chosen’s number for now.

DiX get out of there with a respectable amount of supplies, but Colin and Jazz out for the month. Their recovery time could be improved by installing an actual medbay on the party bus instead of simply throwing the wounded into the bilge and telling them to get well soon, but the alluringly titled Shadow Chamber is deemed a better use of the resources appropriated.

The Avatar doom clock is still a concern. An underpowered team including @profk, @shinymcshine and a pinch-lipped sniper hailing from what remains of Denmark are sent way out into the arctic wilderness to bomb the research facility Advent have tucked away out there. Unfortunately for them, it turns out to be guarded by arguably the toughest alien in the game.

The professor shreds the Archon King with a rocket, and DD manages to prevent it from slam-dunking Jamos with some pinpoint shooting. It still manages to wound almost everyone with one of its trademark bombardments before leaving, living to ruin another mission another day.

DiX manage to limp on and set the charges that turns back the Doom Clock a further two minutes.

If only there was a way to stop these infernal alien champions from returning to bugger us up time and… Oh. Hello.

And!

The future’s looking juicy.

7 Likes

Uniqlo is selling Blizzard t shirts.

Don’t rush me, the power comes with nurturing, or have I bought the farm already?

big fan of my outfit.

:grimacing:

wtf

1 Like

:open_mouth:

I might get a Syvalanas tshirt :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

:no_mouth:

1 Like

I remember noticing this when I was playing it the second time!

Horde scum! :grinning:

Really like the sound of some of the games in Edge this month.

Spy Party, which is in Beta testing on PC and has been in development for 7 years, sounds great. A two player game where one of you mingles with the guests to figure out who the other human controlled player is, working with a second player who plays a sniper to pick them off before the timer runs out.

Bad north is a procedurally generated game where you have to defend your small island from attack from enemies coming at you from different directions. The randomly generated terrain means every game feels unique.

And Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which went a bit under the radar at E3, sounds like it’s finally going back to the series roots I so like. More tombs, platforming and exploration. I loved the reboot as a game but it didn’t feel like a core Tomb Raider to me, so this sounds great.

Shots fired!

2 Likes

big steam sale on now it seems

I jumped at Xcom 2 for free on PSN. Never played the other games so went for easiest difficulty. I think I’m getting towards endgame of my 1st full playthrough (abandoned my first attempt quite quickly) and feel like I’ve got a reasonable grasp of what I should be doing.

Already I’m considering what to do for my next playthrough difficulty wise. Try veteran difficulty and keep the ability to save? Harder but with no saves? What’s the jump from veteran to commander difficulty like? Can see it sustaining my interest for another couple of playthroughs at least.

(Saying all this the next couple of missions could go horribly and I’ll just end up on easiest again)

1 Like

I’ve done the same. the add on packs are reduced on the psn store at the mo too, they really change the game (even on easy team rocket are a right pain in the arse)

2 Likes

Ironman (no saves) is an essential part of the XCOM experience IMHO. More important than difficulty level.

1 Like