A gaming thread for 2019

This thumbnail really tickled me

7 Likes

In news from 2016: I’ve just played through Firewatch, what a great game. #

Don’t get the criticisms of the ending, I loved it.

4 Likes

mint isn’t it? one of my favourite indie games.

I did that too, felt a bit guilty about abandoning my squad though

not bath tub geralt. can’t be a real pc gamer account.

Been playing some Far Cry 5. I think it came in for a bunch of criticism when it was released for basically playing exactly the same as all the other Far Cry games, but it’s still quite a lot of fun sneaking around with a bow and arrow hunting cult members before being discovered and having everything go completely haywire.

Also, it’s absolutely beautiful to look at. I’m playing on a now fairly old GTX970, and I’m still able to run it at a solid 30fps on my snazzy 21:9 monitor at 3440x1440 with all the settings at to ultra. No idea how they’ve managed that.

I mean, look at it!

5 Likes

Yup I replayed it on my Xbox One X, I had enough after beating 2 of the head cultists as it felt a tad drawn out doing a 3rd but I had a good time doing the Far Cry thing. The engine is incredible, it looked mindblowing on the One X with HDR support and running at native 4k at a constant 30fps, it were a treat for the eyes. Now if only everyone could optimize their engines like that!

1 Like

Sank about 8 hours into Alien Isolation today cos I was hungover. Fuck me. This game is astonishing. What an underrated beast of a game.

2 Likes

It’s brilliant. I just finished replaying it recently and I thought it still stands up really well. It’s way better than any of the movies after the first two.

Absolutely. I think it’ll age beautifully tbh, very clean look and so faithful to the original films. And like you say, easily the best thing attached to the alien franchise since aliens.

i got ‘Diablo III’. i think it might not be all that good? i’m just clicking on things until they die and then picking up loot. still, nice to see what the ‘fuss’ is about. and it was only £8 or something.

These kinds of action RPGs are usually boring as shit until you can properly customise your abilities and gear etc. D3 was particularly bad for this on release, dunno what it’s like now. I used to play some end game stuff every six months or so but I think I’m done with it for good now.

Grim Dawn and Path of Exile are meatier takes on the genre, if a bit dry (especially PoE). I could never get properly into the Torchlight series but some people love them.

40% of damage taken as Lucio. Zero endorsements. One tick. Fuck Overwatch. I hate gamers.

edit: i mean fuck ‘people’. Overwatch is fine.

1 Like

i’ll never get with games which ask you to make your character build before you’ve even played 1 minute of the game. so that applies to 99% of RPGs. still i’m a demon hunter in D3 but at the same time feels OP? literally just running around opening up the fog of war and clicking on enemies to kill them. i do like loot tho.

i’ve downloaded PoE so if its business model isn’t trash i’ll give it a look!

It’s just kind of a mindless spectacle game really. Kind of relaxing to just watch things explode. Difficulty is completely trivial unless you play on like TORMENT3 or above or something stupid. Good podcast game though

starting to think i’m a bit old for these kind of games. is what put me off Warframe too even tho it’s obvs a good game.

If you mean online games and stuff where you show off your cool loot are stupid then yeah I’d agree. Except for minecraft which is obviously great because you can be creative with it. Combat is easily the shittest part of minecraft though

but if you click a lot on a zombie it might drop a potato. so it has that going for it.

1 Like

Are we talking about minecraft or Diablo now?