A gaming thread for 2019

I’m kinda between the two of you. I didn’t think DOOM was quite as amazing as some reviews suggest mainly due to platforming being irritating and the levels being hard to navigate, but the plot, enemies, weapons, music and movement were really cool. I’ll be all over more of it.

1 Like

lmao

4 Likes

Exactly

You should know the plot doesn’t matter the moment Doom Guy wrecks the terminal giving exposition. But APPARENTLY the flavour text and logs tell a really good story if you look for it (I didn’t, so fucked if I know)

|Doom guys fist bumps a toy, thats all I needed plot wise.

That’s what I’m talking about. Loads of good hidden stuff in there.

Liked how the core tale felt relevant to the original classic but also worked as a modern game, myself. Not an easy balance to strike.

1 Like

the plot in doom really annoyed me tbh. should literally have been no plot or writing whatsoever in there.

I beat doom but it bored me rigid. Not my cup of tea. Dunno why I persevered tbh.

1 Like

I was creeped out by the image of a man in balaclava hovering over a childrens’ playground

watched the new gameplay thing from Quakecon and it’s fucking lame the way people are whooping and hollering over different glory kills, like “fuck yeah rip it’s head off!” grow up ffs.

2 Likes

would have been a cool gameplay vid if they just got rid of all that crap

It’s Quakecon, an event exclusively occupied by press and fanboys

Honestly even this is a redundant distinction.

haven’t watched it yet but another episode of this

equals fuuuuckk yeeesss

1 Like

YESSSS.

Oh fuck! It’s an hour long! And he says that it’s the second last episode!

1 Like

It’s such a good way to efficiently and conveniently get my fix of FF7-based nostalgia while learning interesting things about linguistics and culture and that

also where I’m at in the video, he’s just covering “I don’t even know what a reunion is!”

I started Thimbleweed Park. The only-very-slightly upgraded pixel art is really beautiful (I almost wish it had been more dedicated to meticulously recreating all the other elements of old LucasArts adventures – the ‘Game Paused’ bar, the menu UI, the font - bc I’m a big nerd), and gives it this great noir-ish atmosphere. So far, I just wish the humour less frequently went into the “ho ho I don’t remember that from the title screen har har”.

It’s weird how I find that kind of fourth-wall humour a lot more charming in text-only games (Final Fantasy VII having characters talking about save points, etc.), and just really annoying in voice acted games.

1 Like

and I know it’s only tangentially relevant to it

but I’ve got this in my head (as I quite often do)

might play some videogames this evening

which ones?

probably Final Fantasy IX

1 Like

I had to give up on the final boss this time round. FFIX is the only FF game I’ve properly completed but, alas, Necron was too much of a dickhead this time round.

(I’d absolutely rinsed a lot of the chocobo minigame this time as well, due to the speed-up function on the PS4 making the digs super easy [you move and peck really fast, the clock goes down at the same speed])

1 Like