A gaming thread for 2019

ho boy

3 Likes

I feel a bit sorry for the feller. Having that exposed about you in as spiteful and harassment-happy world as the vidya must be brutal.

Yeah this is a new low. Templates are there to be used.

It’s just vultures picking at bones now. I’m finding the whole pile-on very uncomfortable and distasteful. Do his ex colleagues need to keep publically calling him out on Twitter too? I know they must be hurting but it’s ok to internalise thoughts sometimes and not feed the mob.

He should be happy he’s not a chick - on top of all this he’d be having everyone trying to find out who he slept with to get the job.

4 Likes

Finally started watching that Petscop thing (I think someone mentioned it here?)

It’s so up my street it’s unreal

crazy that people have such little empathy in this world

the true response after you’ve gotten over getting mad at him (which everyone should be by now) is

“I wonder what made him do this?”

Maybe it was just sheer laziness but more likely he lacked confidence in himself and his abilities. If you thought you were good at reviewing stuff, you would just do so yourself.

I know it’s not on the same level either but hearing a lot of “you should never get another person’s opinion before doing a review” even on the bombcast but like…all these gaming journalists are constantly referencing rumours & reception from players on twitter for stuff they’ve not yet played. If you take that argument to it’s conclusion they should be on a complete media blackout until playing the game themselves. Obviously the world of opinions doesn’t work this way anymore.

1 Like

it’s the exact same with everything else these days tbh, running from minor faux pas to major infractions. when a journalist says something weird, a comedian uses a problematic turn of phrase, whatever, everybody has to pile the fuck in, everybody feels obliged to have an opinion, everybody wants to do a little performative moralising. it’s so incredibly tiresome.

(am aware by posting this i am technically joining in a counter pile-on to the pile-on)

think the first time i really started getting bored of this kind of thing was when people started dunking on melania trump “plagiarising” michelle obama. and dunking and dunking and dunking. until somebody cut a bunch of previous first lady speeches together and it turned out michelle was repeating the same mindless shite as the rest of them. then everyone moved on to hounding someone else.

2 Likes

this looks fun, like a morbid Stardew Valley

4 Likes

The guy is partly at fault though because he posted a video saying he unknowingly did it and has never done it prior to this. Which sort of sparked everyones desire to go back through his articles.

But obviously this is the video game community we are talking abbout ao theyre hardly going to constructive with their feedback should we just say.

Does it matter? What’s going on now is no better than anything those ‘actually ethics’ types have ever got up to. There’s a 5000+ post thread on it on Resetera (ie. NeoGaf 2) if you want to join in there. I’m going to gauge my eyes out instead brb

You can tell I’m serious because I’m using capital letters for a change

I avoid those cess pits for the benefit of my own sanity. As such im not aware of the extent of the social witch hunt on. So sorry for dragging it back up.

Yeah. Hypocrites

1 Like

I found Uncharted: Lost Legacy to be a great time. Its a manageable size and probably well cheap now. Second half is the most visually stunning gameplay

2 Likes

Reached (what might be) the final boss in Etrian Odyssey V on the 3DS. This is a series of weird JRPG dungeon crawlers, where you have first-person view on the top screen, and the map on the bottom:

The hook is that you draw the map with the stylus as you go - the labyrinth is uncharted, so you map it (walls, hazards, devices etc).

I think the reason I’ve been digging it is that I have a terrible sense of direction IRL (maps in general are amazing to me). ‘Normal’ people, when they walk around, are filling in their own map as they go, giving them that plan view, so they know where they’re going.

It’s like I only have the top screen - I can see where I’m going ofc, but find it harder to orient myself in relation to distant things. Playing this game lets me feel like someone with a sense of direction - like a London cabbie, but with magic swords and stuff!

tl;dr games can be good for experiencing new things, who knew

3 Likes

It’s a good thing you added this, because I was going to ask who you are and what you did with @cowtipping.

1 Like

Super weird little curio. Been ages since the last update though.

1 Like

I have a knack for finding things that soon after get revived, so fingers crossed. I’m quite happy there’s a lot of videos for me to get stuck into; I really love this sort of weird ghost story sort of stuff. Reminds me of why I was so fascinated (and still kind of am) with The Blair Witch Project growing up; and I love stuff like this that seems to show other people get that very curious and very specific kind of eeriness.

1 Like

(also I just checked the YouTube thing, there were some new ones four weeks ago apparently after a four or so month gap which you might have missed?)

I have no idea how I messed them! Diving in now. Cheers.

1 Like

What can I say?