A gaming thread for 2019

I think 2019 could be amazing for Switch owners.

Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Yoshi, Luigi’s Mansion, Fire Emblem, Pokémon RPG, Animal Crossing… That’s just what we know about. But yeah, I reckon Red Dead 2 will be this year’s BOTW and the game everyone is playing until March 2019.

I’m a bit worried about red dead redemption 2 cause I’m a bit burned out on open world games, going round ticking off icons and doing missions that all feel pretty similar to other open world games. Might just be cause the ones I’m playing currently, Spiderman and far cry 5, are a bit underwhelming.

But hopefully my cynicism will see me blown away when I do get it.

Don’t get me wrong, they have a stream of games to suit many tastes, they just aren’t what I’m interested in. Out of that list I’m only bothered about 2 and I’m sure one if them will be out nearer Christmas so for me it’s barren. The other systems on the other hand have lots I want to play now.

1 Like

My problem is more fundamental than that : I’m excited by the opportunity to be an elf, a spaceship commander or a red haired robot dinosaur wrecker but I’m really not that bothered about being a cowboy.

Never played red dead one and never felt the need to, because it just doesn’t appeal as a genre or character. Maybe I should give it a try anyway, I don’t know.

I was the same, but a load of people I respect in the industry seem to suggest that the way you interact with the MPCs is legitimately a game changer. Apparently anyone on the map can lead you to a quest, story, interaction, etc etc

They all have routines and all can be interacted with and all have traits and personalities

They also remember things you do, one such example given was ‘Don’t cause any trouble, I saw you and such and such in a confrontation this morning’;

2 Likes

I was hoping you were talking about a Dilla simulator or something here

haha

Whoops

NPC

Fingers crossed.

Remember that moment from the first one that everyone raves about where you cross into Mexico and Jose Gonzalez strikes up. I looked around at the graphics and the music just fit perfectly and I thought this is so epic… But just as the song started a cougar appeared and killed me and my horse. When I restarted the music was gone and the moment could never be repeated, that was a bit of a bummer.

4 Likes

Yup, people are saying it reinvents open world games. Some of the traversal and inventory traits sound cribbed from BOTW, but the way they’ve woven narrative in sounds like a true leap. Even as someone who finds westerns incredibly dull, I am loving what I’m hearing about this.

don’t get me hyped for another rockstar game guys i couldn’t possibly take the inevitable disappointment after the la noire & gta 5 double whammy of meh

No one was claiming GTA 5 was a game changer tbf. Also these people are usually pretty cynical (the ones hyping it)

on here or in the games media? cos in the games media it was literally being hyped as a groundbreaking “all games have led to this moment” type deal, i remember the articles. even for a notoriously hucksterish industry the PR verged on messianic, and while i wasn’t expecting it to be as good as all that what we actually got didn’t even live up to extremely tempered expectations imo

1 Like

Maybe just the outlets I go to didn’t :smiley:

But yeah, what I’ve heard sounds very very innovative. I was hyper dismissive of GTA V all the way up to launch and whilst the game was more fun than I expected it was certainly more of the same and with little character or identity outside of Trevor… who had that infamous scene which made the game incredibly uncomfortable to play.

3 Likes

To this day, I’m baffled how so many people had the wool pulled over their eyes with GTAV.

I completed it and enjoyed aspects (the heists, breaking into airbases, flying) but it’s the same base game under all those graphics we’ve played since the PS2.

1 Like

Its probably because it wasnt as gloomy and drab as IV which was a flat out bad game in my opinion. So people were excited to see colour and vibrancy brought back to gameplay. As someone who had played Saints Row 2 & 3… and to a lesser extent 4 as well as Sleeping Dogs (both games who did fun open world sandboxes better) I was just satisfied with GTA V… on top of thatt wasn’t as good as either Ballad of Gay Tony or The Lost & The Damned which were good versions of GTA IV

The Heists were great though, and the way it handled character transitions was really clever and often entertaining. Everything else? Bad gunplay, awful chase missions, annoying checkpoint ticking

1 Like

Pretty much everything you’ve said here could also be said about something like Skyrim.

I finished God of War - I really enjoyed it, really great fighting and also the way it is shot is really well done

BUT my big problem is the story quest, and I would say it has a lot to do with the way i played. I kind of lost sight of what was going on towards the end, it was confusing to follow. Like why am I talking to the big snake again??

I think it’s because I was pretty much following the storyline, with odd bit of work here and there for the dwarf bros, and i was following along. Then I put in a lot of grinding time in Niflheim and Muspelheim and forgot what the hell was going on in the story!

It muddled the game a bit for me, being that mix of story AND arena/challenges/grinding - but overall very enjoyable! I will miss my friend Mimir 'Get up brother!"

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not as hyped has my friends about it. I really enjoyed GTA5, but I didn’t get what a lot of people got from it. RDR2 should be a great game, I don’t expect it knock GoW off the game of the year top spot.

1 Like

Don’t make me defend GTAIV again man. No one wants to read that.

GTAIV>>>GTAV

I would like to read that because, at this distance, it seems like quite a mad opinion to hold.

4 Likes