A gaming thread for 2019

I tried to do good. I also tried to uncover all of the undiscovered places.

Most of that will involve killing everything.

I’d head on to Velen, unless you love ferreting every last secret out/just romping around the countryside on Roach, which I do tbf. There’s little to be gained in White Orchard, and if you want XP following the main story’s your best bet.

In terms of character building, as I’ve said before I concentrate on maxing out the Jedi mind-trick thing and fast sword attack, then basically whatever you particularly like doing.

1 Like

There’s quite a lot of nuance to combat, and you could probably get really into different styles and approaches, but my approach was basically just to set everyone on fire and then hit them with a big sword.

For the rest of it, just talk to everyone, and investigate as much as you can. You’ll stumble upon all sorts of sidequests and stories that will just fill the world right up. Get into Gwent early as well. I hate games within games (anyone remember Pazaak from KOTOR? Bag o’ shite.) so I swerved it. Then I saw that my mate had picked up some trophies for playing it, and so the competitive instincts kicked in and I had a go. It turned out to be really good, and I went playing everyone I could. Saving Ciri and seeing off the Wild Hunt took a back seat for a few weeks, I can tell you. By the time I realised this though I’d missed some cards you could only win at certain points of the story, and so I was never able to get a full deck. Don’t be me.

1 Like

Bought a steam link in the recent sale and it seems like it’s completely shite and useless and not what I thought it was at all. Bobbins.

It just duplicates a screen? That’s it? That’s shit.

Anyone wanna buy a steam link?

1 Like

To play stuff on the TV with a steam controller instead of at your desk innit?

1 Like

It’s a really fancy HDMI cable.

1 Like

Me too, went back to it after ages of not playing and am loving it again. They’ve made Genji less of a dick which helps.

coincidentally the URL history autofill thingy led me to this post, bc I came to this thread to post that the first episode of Consolevania’s fourth series is on YouTube. Based on the first ten minutes, it’s a goodie

This month I have

A) spent forty quid on monster hunter. Couldn’t get into it at all.

B) got Rime for free on psn. Just completed it and absolutely loved it. Outshines Journey in terms of emotional pay off. Brilliant brilliant stuff. No idea what the middling reviews were on about unless it’s performance issues which have now been patched.

Overall I feel I have broken even.

@cowtipping was also in that game

Yeah I saw him, you had another guy in your group as well who was a ridiculously high level, didn’t you?

Got the Year Of The Dog legendary skin for Pharah last night, was quite impressed as I normally only get them for characters who I never use. Like Genji!

Monster hunter on PS4? How much do you want for it?

Well I think I should really hang onto it as my friend has just got it and is planning on doing some co-op with me when he’s on holiday. Will see how that goes and maybe flog it then if we don’t find the fun.

1 Like

got £25 free credit on the windows store, torn on what to get between:

Cuphead
Age of Empires Remastered
Gears of War Remastered

Seem to be the only decent games on there I don’t have

Right, I played half an hour of that Hollow Knight.

When does it start to get interesting?

I read a review today of Age of Empires and it was very lukewarm, it also pointed out that the (according to them) far superior sequel is the same price (though I don’t know if that’s on the Windows Store).
Cuphead has very good reviews but is also very hard. I hated GOW but lots of people seem to think it’s great.

Sorry, that’s not much help at all!

1 Like

I’ve fallen into a football manager touch 2018 hole. However unsuccessful I am at getting Wycombe to be better.

2 Likes

It’s a slow burn. It seems like a small, monocrome world but it opens up gently. Then never seems to stop opening up.

It looks a little limited at first but once you’ve got a few abilities and charms and the different options for playstyles present themselves you realise its hidden depths.

1 Like

GUYS

Half Life 3 was FF 15 the whole time!

How long did it take you to get through Rime? Think I’m going to cancel my PS Plus subscription for a while as I’ve not played anything online for ages. Quite fancy playing through this first though.