A gaming thread for 2019

How far in are you (like how many people are in your party)?

How many cockney robots have you fought?

1 Like

HZD is starting to make sense now. I’m doing a lot more sneaking and a lot more stealth archery.

2 Likes

finished the Fury section of Wipeout Omega Collection - it’s so much more of a chore than HD or 2048, what with the multiple crap modes (Detonator? not too bad I guess. Eliminator? bit rubbish, AI is hopeless at it so you can’t lose. Zone Battle? absolutely jog on m8) and only having 4 proper tracks that get recycled in normal and reverse mode endlessly, and that aren’t all that good anyway. ergh.

done now though, so either I go back and grind through 2048 to get the last few trophies or I move onto something else. probably the latter tbh.

My Stellaris game perked up a bit. The other civ in my two civ federation (the Just Alliance) declared war on some rebel factions in their territory. These factions were backed by the sinister but lightweight Miresh Reavers, which meant I could legally sneak into their space through a wormhole and systematically dismantle their entire military with extreme prejudice without compromising my fanatical pacifism. Exploiting loopholes to commit genocide ftw. They’ve been threatening my lovely but stupid neighbours for many years now and I was hoping obliterating the threat might make them consider joining the Just Alliance. Sadly they were too busy being a decadent monarchy to notice. Probably couldn’t even be bothered to suspend the orgy long enough to check the news. So ungrateful.

Then when it looked like I was going to have to get used to the tedium of peace again a bunch of sentient AI decided to declare it’s independence from my empire and started annexing planets. I’d never bothered building armies in my central systems, instead concentrating my efforts on securing the perimeter so that they’d never need them, so before I’d really noticed what had happened they’d made a massive hole in the middle of my territory. Reclaiming it was a simple but drawn out process and it left me open to attack from the race of cat people I’ve been trading insults with for the past millennia. They took the lead scientifically while my empire was diminished and should they have managed to get through my bulwark of massive space stations I’d have been utterly powerless to defend myself. But thankfully they simply couldn’t be arsed. Typical cats.

4 Likes

I seem to have planned my anniversary celebrations on the same night as the Monster Hunter World update…this won’t do.

My prediction above proved correct, and my newty allies declared war with the Andigonj again pretty much as soon as the truce expired. This time the Andigonj changed tactics and went with just one massive fleet, which it used to absolutely wipe the floor with the Sathori. Whilst it was gone though, I was able to nip in and conquer one of their heavily defended core worlds. State of play when absolute ledge Jaliyah passed away:

…and it’s pretty much stayed that way for centuries now, because the Destroyers have maintained an absurdly big navy thanks to AI hax which I’m only now starting to catch up with… and the Sathori took the defeat hard and turned on themselves since.

But Amastes contains a wormhole - something I didn’t even notice when I conquered it - which dawned a new age of colonisation and exploration for the UNE on the other side of the galaxy. And it wasn’t 50 years after seizing Chohar that the UNE elected an andigonj president. Three cheers for second generationals, I guess.

2 Likes

Even though I know OF Stelaris and broadly what kind of game it is, I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’m enjoying these reports a lot though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was Jaliyah human? 95 is a pretty good innings as an admiral. My genetically enhanced fungus people don’t make it much further than that.

I feel I’ve played my pacifism run all backwards. My 2 fleets are both 10k+ world enders, which is probably overkill for a hippy defence fleet. I could maybe have spent that cash better.

Yeah, she was. With genetic upgrades though, that’s about average.

The Destroyers have a 28k fleet. It’s the biggest fleet in the galaxy (outside Fallen Empires) wedged into the smallest territory. I’m catching up though, and once I’ve finally reckoned with them, the galaxy will be ripe for humanitarian intervention!

28k? Holy moly. Well, I guess if you’re gonna call yourselves The Destroyers you really have to have something to back that up with.

Thanks to my hands* being tied by pacifism I think my game is going to be thousands of years of me beating up lesser civs whenever I can find a loophole while trying to expand my federation through what is essentially mass bribery. And I so wanted to run a virtuous mushroom kingdom…

*I’m not entirely sure what us mushrooms have instead of hands

Do you think my tablet will run this? Atom processor, 2GB ram? It looks fun!

Think you scrape into the minimum with that: Stellaris on Steam I’ve heard about people getting to work on their old laptops, but do expect choke the longer your game goes on and the more sprawling your empire becomes.

Noted. If it comes on sale, I might pick it up!

Anyone picking up Sea of Thieves then? I really like the looks of it but £49.99 from the Windows Store can absolutely fuck right off.

There was a Sea of Thieves bus parked outside Kings Cross this morning.

Microsoft really missed the boat by not getting a ship instead.

3 Likes

I’m sure, like any website redesign, within a few weeks I’ll think this overhaul is great. But right now, I can’t find a fucking thing:

1 Like

This bit looks broken to me.

Also a bleeding World of Tanks advert keeps covering up the entire site for some reason.

1 Like

Xbox game pass works on pc. Sea of thieves is on game pass. 7quid per month

Think a couple of us are going to do it as it looks fun but lacking in depth so might be fun for a month or so. And then may be dip back in when they add more content

Oh rly? That is tempting. Is it easy to cancel? I recall cancelling anything with Microsoft was a nightmare back in my Xbox days.

Easy to cancel on the website but not on an Xbox. I believe the first 2 weeks are free also

Bare this in mind as all future first party games will be on pc and xbone and will be on game pass on launch.