A gaming thread for 2019

I too generally hate QTEs.

Heavy Rain was responsible for this masterpiece though. We can be grateful for that at least

7 Likes

I’m curious about Persona 5. There’s so much about it that sounds like it’d be REALLY up my street; and yet, whenever i see a screenshot, it looks so annoyingly loud and noisy (same with the music).

SELL IT 2 ME

Also piss off shadows of yarnham

QTEs are arse, in Spider-Man all of the bits where you’re controlling Spider-Man in normal gameplay are great, then you get these shite scripted sequences which are just annoying and crap. Surely nobody enjoys them.

2 Likes

There was a period about five years ago when EVERY game had them coming out of their pores. It was a weird obsession for devs to have, because I’ve never heard any player say anything good about them, and thankfully they’ve been in relative decline ever since. Again there’s probably a decent blog post in exploring where they came from and where they went.

not sure I’m the best person to sell it to you when I love the aesthetic and soundtrack and the whole look and feel of the game, but it’s an awesome game and I highly recommend it. if you like JRPGs, and I think you do, then definitely worth a look - think it might be in the January sale on the PS Store?

I might check that. My thing with the aesthetic is that I can see it being the sort of thing I might like in the context of actually playing the game, but being totally alienated from that experience, everything just seems confusing and decontextualised

The asphetic and Ui is incredible. Youll love it when you play it

1 Like

Wasn’t the first but I think Shenmue popularised them

resi 4 is the first game i remember playing with QTE, i absolutely despised them. such a perfectly designed game with an absolute roaster of a mechanism stuck in there to ruin your day.

Remember when games that were entirely QTE based were a thjng. Dragons lair and the Mega CD would be the bane of your life

1 Like

It did seem for a number of years like every boss fight or big set piece in AAA GAMES was a QTE monstrosity. There’s an argument to be made that Dark Souls’ surprise popularity was partly down to it being one of the few games at the time that actually let you fight the damn bosses.

1 Like

This is one significant stone on the cairn of dark souls’ greatness.

1 Like

Mutant somethong something Year Zero (i cant remember the title) and Between The Gardens for me Clive.

Both newly added to gamepass and thought id give em both a shit as they looked great anf tbey both are. Mutant is like Xcom where u play as mutants and has quite high emphasis on stealth and picking off enermies before engaging in battle. Its an interesting take pn the genre and really refreshing. The fact you can avoid battles all togethwr but stealthly avoiding it is a great touch.

Between The Gardens is a beautiful and interestimg puzzle game where you control the environment and time for kids set in a pre determined path, its kind of lile Lemmimgs meets The Witness

I suggest peeps with an xbox and gamepass play these 2 games imediatly if they sound interesting. Avaliable on ps4 and Switcj as well (Between The Gardens) but is a new release so will probably be about 15quid or summat

Started Shadow of Tomb Raider yesterday.

Found some treasure.

1 Like

Should we move to a 2019 thread?

2 Likes

Yes.

If only because we’ll blow the 10000 post limit and need one in 2019 anyway.

1 Like

I like a man who thinks ahead.