A gaming thread for 2019

This is directed to the tabloids btw. Not the very well balnced amd sensible comments that initially got spun into fear mongering sensationalism

gotta hand it to Epic Games tho with the Battle Pass idea. sell it cheap, do it every couple of months, takes 75-120 hours (according to them) to unlock all those sweet skins/emotes/crap so it keeps the kiddiewinks hooked. they know exactly what they’re doing. no wonder they won’t comment on any of these articles.

but aye, those kids smashing up tellies? naw pal, your boys are just horrible little sods. that’s not a video game’s fault. smash up their xbox to teach them a lesson and take their sugary drinks away too while you’re at it.

Oh, I’m not really defending the business model behind Fortnite and similar games. Loot boxes, FTP with "micro"transactions and so on all needs to be dealt with, but moaning because you gave Little Johnny £400 to spent on animations is going a bit far.

(Actually, I should clarify… I’ve no idea what Fortnite’s business model is… I just assume it’s the same as the rest of similar games these days :slight_smile: )

tis fine, i knew you weren’t. was just pointing out a thing.
they don’t have lootboxes like most other games - they sell cosmetics for sometimes silly prices instead (like £20 each for a few i’ve seen - yes, just for a skin), and this aforementioned ‘battle pass’ which costs about £8 and unlocks things (mostly garbage but sometimes cool dances which i’m really jealous of cos i don’t have any of them) as you level up.
but at least you know what you’re buying. (or not, in the case of some of these parents, some of whom could really do with learning the word ‘no’)

1 Like

anyone actually playing fortnite? it’s great fun.

the lootbox issues is a bit different because with fortnite it’s purely cosmetic really.

It’s one of those games that I can’t tell if it looks stupidly fun or really dull and boring.

(Haven’t actually played it myself)

Yay. Should be gloriously weird!

1 Like

Finally

Yeah! Can’t believe how much they’ve struggled to get it going.

I love it, still. Think it’s a brilliantly executed game, still tons of fun, and they really nailed it aesthetically and gameplay wise with the new apocalyptic / sci-fi-y update and the storyline of meteors hitting the island. Keeps it fresh, having a large PvP game that’s changing in real time

It’s also the least suspect of all the exploitative lootpack style games; you could keep a child quite happy with the £8 per season (70 days) pass which unlocks loads of cool stuff the more you level up. You can also play the full game, with no restrictions or disadvantages, for absolutely free. Yeah, some kids probably do get addicted or beg their parents for money for some of the pay-for skins, but it’s not an essential part of the game. Children are becoming addicted to technology, just like 99.9% of the population; scapegoating Fortnite is lazy. It’s not more addictive than anything else, it’s just more fun/popular.

1 Like

New map in overwatch
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I love this game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Started playing Resident Evil 7 in VR. Almost quit before you even get in the house - just that sliver of light you know is gonna be extinguished the moment you step inside gave me massive anxiety! Would really love Gone Home or something like that in VR so I could enjoy the experience of poking around these places without my heart in my mouth the whole time!

@colossalhorse I am finally getting into Hollow Knight a bit more. They really should give you wall jump a bit earlier.

You’re not wrong there. You don’t get a double jump for bloody ages either which really ought to be a basic right on a platformer. It gets better as it goes along but if you’re not as enamoured with the aesthetic as I was I can imagine it being a slog to get to the good bits.

1 Like

Going by what you’re saying, I think I got the same ending (partly bc the game doesn’t always make the choices that clear: one of the branching paths offers dialogue choices that are virtually the same but have totally different outcomes and I’ll fight anyone who disagrees).

On the plus side, if you fancy playing the DLCs; they work quite well with that bleak ending, because they kind of work (or did in my own personal “head-canon” or whatever word the nerds use nowadays) as a story of redemption. They’re also great and better than the main story (imo)

2 Likes

I only heard about this recently, but I’m very intrigued. Never played a Swery game (Deadly Premonition always struck me as being way too much of a Twin Peaks homage, and the other one was XBox exclusive and never finished, right?) but my interest is always peaked by what I read, so I’m glad this is coming to PS4 so I can indulge in the weirdness from the comfort of my bed.

Don’t root all the birds!

Oh DP was so indebted to Twin Peaks, but it was still obvious that Swery had something ya know? Some strong quirk of character that was entirely his own. Quietly excited to see where this goes!

Team, I’m at that point in Nier where you fight horde after horde of copy-and-paste enemies. More specifically, some side-scrolling castle I travelled through a forest to reach. Feeling no compulsion whatsoever to play - when does the story get gripping? I mean, I liked the settlement after the amusement park but I’m not feeling any sort of story hook yet.

Yeah I completely agree with all of this. The game play is incredibly well designed and optimised so that each game is unique and different. I like how the weapon drops and storm force you to work out a strategy and approach each time. Once you get your head around the quirky controls and shooting then it’s a huge amount of fun.

Also agree about the sensible pricing strategy

1 Like