A Ghost Is Kicking Television - The Wilco Thread

Really wish I liked them. Maybe I’ll give this album another go

2 Likes

saw them a bunch of times too - including around midday on the pyramid stage at glastonbury

these are two of the best shows i’ve been to, massey hall is just an incredible venue really.

they’re still a very good live act, but that YHF into ghost is born era is peak for me

1 Like

Ah I caught a show at Massey Hall a few year after that while on holifay

Really great venue, as you say. Even with a column blocking part of the stage for me :smiley:

I’ve got tickets to see them play at a festival in Tunbridge Wells in June 2021. Desperately want it to go ahead, but it seems like wishful thinking right now.

1 Like

I love AGIB. YHF is my pick in terms of favourite album by them (it’s a top 10 all-time for me), but the songwriting is incredibly strong, the guitar tones are otherworldly, and Muzzle of Bees makes my heart burst every time I hear it.

Fun story - I got to see them for the first time at Academy 2 in Birmingham because my form teacher asked if there was anything we could do for a class trip. Two of us suggested going to a gig, and it was the most affordable gig happening where either of us liked one of the bands on the bill. Had to hand in a copy of YHF so it could be vetted before the teacher bought the tickets, and there were more parents chaperoning than students.

6 Likes

This is the album that did it for me. Although I missed the AGIB tour, since 2007 I’ve seen them more than 50 times around Europe and been twice to their Solid Sound Festival in Massachusetts. They still play mammoth sets and rarely fail to give 100% on any night.

AGIB does have a very annoying mix in places but the main issue is, given its reputation for much skronk, how bloody quiet it is. And therein lies its beauty.

5 Likes

Pretty sure this is the album I where I got off the Wilco bus, remember reading about the drones and the noise etc and thinking, nah, you’re alright. I got into them off the back of YHF and then absolutely fell in love with the Mermaid Avenue albums with Billy Bragg. A Ghost is Born didn’t seem like it was much like those albums, so I gave it a pass, but actually thinking about it now 15 years on I think I’d be bang into it, gonna stick it on tonight

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

Absolutely love Wilco… brilliant live and seem like gbol. One mediocre album in their catalog (Schmilco), everything else is 7.5+… with Ghost Is Born and YHF being all time classics.
The Jeff Tweedy autobiography is excellent… I’d recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest.

Also, Nels Cline’s solo on Impossible Germany.

4 Likes

Headlines I did not expect to see

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with it though

1 Like

I hate the fact that they’re playing that, a 45 minute drive from my house but I can’t justify shelling out for the whole weekend for them and Courtney Marie Andrews, not a lot else on the bill that really tickles my fancy.

Saw them on the Sky Blue Sky tour and remember this being an absolute all-time gig moment. +1 for Wilco are brilliant.

1 Like

Other than Wilco and Drive By Truckers there isn’t much that tickles my fancy either - but it’s 10 minutes from home; and it’s a nice little festival.

Individual day tickets are now available though FYI

Tempted by that. Haven’t seen Wilco since they headlined EOTR, must have been around so just after the self-titled album. They were cracking that night though.

2 Likes

Anyone got a link to this Tunbridge Wells thing. Any other dates planned?

It’s the Black Deer Festival:

Wilco, - Lucinda Williams - Felice Brothers
Nice!

Yeah, I’m definitely coming round to the idea of taking my dad along on that Friday. I reckon he’d love to see Robert Plant as well, but no way he can do a whole weekend.

1 Like

Just queued up A Ghost Is Born on Spotify and noticed Ode To Joy sitting there. I’ve got no recollection of ever listening to that. Feel that today could spiral into quite the Wilco session

2 Likes