A Moon Shaped Pool wasn't very good in the end was it?

Great bump

I always wondered if the cheering sample on 15 step was from rollercoaster tycoon

2 Likes

Vaguely remember reading at the time that they went to a school to record a children’s choir singing a part for another track that they ended up not using but they got them to shout HEY for 15 Step while they were there

3 Likes

AMSP is decent tbh. 7.4/10

1 Like

I should sue whoever changed the thread title (I wrote ‘wasn’t very good’ but it got changed years ago)

Will I change it back? I thought it had been edited alright.

2 Likes

Love this album

Still shocked that’s the arrangement of ‘True Love Waits’ they decided was good enough to release

2 Likes

True Love Waits is my 2nd favourite Radiohead song after How To Disappear… i always liked the live version but holy shit i was not prepared. Supposedly one of the reasons they finally finished it was to get Godrich to shut up about it; he hated the live version and always thought they should do it proper.

1 Like

Well @JohnM how good was it really?

2 Likes

makes sense that the version on the album ended up sounding a lot like the version they often played as a live intro to Everything in its Right Place, but then surprising that they barely played it at all on the album tour (and started doing EIIRP on a different keyboard so they couldn’t even do it as an intro anymore). if memory serves they ended up reverting to the acoustic version eventually

i quite like the album version even if it took a bit of getting used to, but i was still pretty surprised they bothered re-doing it - unlike the other famous unreleased tracks i’d always considered them putting it on the live record to be drawing a line under it and that counting as it being finished and released.

1 Like

AMSP is a good 8/10 record really. Probably a couple of tracks too long and I’m reliably informed that I have a wrong oppinion about one of the tracks I would remove.

Really like the version of TLW as a coda for an album about heartbreak, sounds broken in all the right ways, but doesn’t sound like a definitive ‘big Radiohead song’. Maybe they never saw it that way though. I think there is some merit to having the lovely plaintive wide-eyed acoustic version and the regretful broken version from different points in their relationship.

7 Likes

Love the cruelty of this :smiley:

Would you believe I’ve never listened to it? And with Kid A being the Radiohead album on the HGIIR list we’re never going to know for sure

Unlike all other Radiohead albums I find I only listen to A Moon Shaped Pool on headphones. It’s not an album I can listen to in the car or have on in the background because it’s so subtle.

1 Like

AMSP would have been better without Burn The Witch at the start. Just keep that track as a single.

3 Likes

Welcome to the start of the thread.

1 Like

Surely we can make a special allowance to find the answer to this thread?

I guess a number rating poll could just be posted in here

Glass Eyes is one of my favourite radiohead tunes