A New Nightmare - The Rolling Horror Thread 2016 Reborn

Yeah, Babadook, Under the Shadow, Noonday Witch all have that single (pretty much) mother/child combo with some ambiguity regarding what’s actually happening.

Yeah, was pretty enjoyable…wish I saw if at the LFF. It is a bit silly though.

Not a word I expected to find under there! The girlfriend being where she was in the later stages was one of the few things that let it down, but still a 9/10.

Managed to squeeze in the final two episodes of Black Tapes season 1 this weekend. Would have liked some of the stuff to be wrapped up more than it was, but it’s still tons of fun. I just hope they’ve got a long-game planned and that some of the puzzles do get resolved eventually. I think that’s half the problem with stuff like this: it’s relatively easy to set up interesting mysteries, but much harder to resolve them in an interesting way. I know you’ve listened to the second season - am I going to get any answers there?

Also: anyone here read My Best Friend’s Exorcism? Am about 50 pages from the end and it’s pretty fun. A bit YA-ish in places, but it definitely has its moments…

Black Tapes follows an X-Files format where they continue to investigate individual cases but then start to knit them together, all with an over arching story for Alex and Richard. Some stuff does get answered but then there’s always a new twist around the corner.

I’m halfway through the second series of Tanis at the moment and enjoying that very much…

Watched last night, The Autopsy Of Jane Doe

Nicely compact film this, at just 85 minutes and mostly a single setting, this is also played almost exclusively by Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch (although Roose Bolton, that bastard, does have a pleasing cameo) along with the talents of the titular (arf) Ms Doe. The autopsy scenes are authenticly gory and the set up is genuinely creepy and original, in particular one nice use of a specific sound effect. It falls down slightly in the final third where it becomes something of a generic scare fest, but overall thought this was pretty good. 7/10

Also watched last night, The Monster

Having made a big splash with The Strangers, it’s slightly puzzling why Bryan Bertino (writer/director of both that and this) failed to capitalise on its success. Fortunately The Monster is a good addition to his CV, equal parts Dead End and Cujo but with an added interesting mother/daughter dynamic. Although there are some genuine scares here, the whole thing plays like an allegory for the two main characters’ relationship. This is tense and dark and features some nice old school creature design. 7/10

Seconding all those folks who mentioned The Autopsy of Jane Doe, genuinely unsettling stuff plus the fact that I kept expecting her to rise from the table at any moment was in itself incredibly suspenseful.

1 Like

This: Aftermath (Short 1994) - IMDb pretty much put me off autopsy-based films for life, but I might have to brave these waters again…

Haven’t done a ‘recently watched’ post for a while. In reverse, starting last night;
Darling. From last year, was recommended somewhere on the internet. I didn’t like it, the music was (intentionally) oppressive to the point where dialogue became inaudible. Black and white, kind of Repulsion style. Too art school for me, which is saying something. 6
Beyond the Gates. Kind of liked the idea of this, two brothers return to their father’s video store to sell up after he goes missing. Babs Crampton and Larry Fessenden gives it retro kudos but it was just a bit too hmm. 7
Ichi the Killer. Don’t tell me this isn’t horror, the hook torture scene and the tongue are two of the most horrific things comitted to film. 8
Gozu. Another Takashi Miike film, well bizarre imagery. Love this stuff. 8.
WAZ. A rewatch. Much darker than I remember, and full of familiar faces. Tom Hardy is in it playing an arsehole very well. Up there with Seven for me. 8
Marebito. Japanese film about a bloke (actually the director of Tetsuo) who finds a woman in tunnels under Tokyo and takes her home. Bad idea seeing as she needs blood to survive. Didn’t love it, still a 7.
Seconds Apart. Two twin brothers, one evil, the other very evil. Fine. 7.
5 is a crap film for me, i’m maybe too generous!

1 Like

watched The Blob remake (from the 80’s, there’s another one on the cards apparently). really don’t hear about it much but it’s a stunner. surprisingly dark and violent, pretty awesome visual effects, and just generally a well-made film with some really nice touches. also Matt Dillon with a diabolical mullet

The first 45 minutes are as perfect as an horror film I’ve seen, the tension, acting, set up, direction, dread are all spot on. I think that’s why the last half hour felt like a bit of a let down because, like Petagno says, it became a bit more standard in comparison. Still my favourite horror of 2016 though.

Wow, high praise! There are still so many movies from last year that I need to catch up on, including this one… Speaking of which, have you (or anyone else here) seen The Love Witch? I loved the trailer for this and it seems to have been really well reviewed…

I’ve been trying kodi all week for The Love Witch but nothing available on Exodus. Looks like my type of film…

William Peter Blatty has died…

Obviously best known for owning The Exorcist, but his directorial stuff in Exorcist III was pretty distinctive too :+1:

By ‘owning’ I of course meant to write ‘writing’. Stupid auto correct…

Anyway, William Peter Blatty :+1:

Watched The Wailing the other day. Enjoyable…first two hours or so flew past but the end was a bit rushed.it seemed strange to cast seeds of doubt as to who the antagonist actually was so late on only to just go “only kidding, you were right from the beginning.” . But yeah, good film, funnier than I was expecting as well.

Demon, a Polish horror which I think is a first for me. Based around a groom who is possessed by a spirit during his wedding reception. Terrific atmosphere in this, no gore or ‘shocks’ Tragic that the director Marcin Wrona committed suicide in the hotel where it was being presented during a film festival. Obvious talent.

Top of my want to see list, can’t get subtitles to work in kodi though.

How does kodi work? Do you have to search for the subtitles separately? I just stick with the old fashioned method of watching films and dl.

Watched last night, Trash Fire

Written and directed by the guy who made the excellent Excision a few years back, this is a nice indie/mumblecore style off the wall piece with definite nods to Carrie. Predominantly just four main characters, although a good cameo from Ash vs Evil Dead’s Pablo, this has plenty of laugh out loud dialogue before a pleasingly bloody finale. Not too much traditional horror, but unsettling nonetheless. 7/10