A New Nightmare - The Rolling Horror Thread 2016 Reborn

Yeah, to the point where the father character is called Gene Jones. It just didn't sit well with me, the Vice branding and Joe Swanberg are two other negative points. Can't stand him.

Agreed. Jumpy in places but that's about it. Shoddy storyline, absolutely awful characters and zero suspense.

Its so bad. Genuinely amazed at the praise

Herschell Gordon Lewis has passed away: http://www.fangoria.com/new/rest-in-peace-herschell-gordon-lewis-1929-2016/

Only got round to checking out some of his films a couple of years back, with his Blood Trilogy Blu-Ray, with Blood Feast, 2000 Maniacs and Color Me Blood Red. Really enjoyed the middle one, and he seemed like a nice guy in interviews I've seen with him - absolutely no pretensions that the films he made were anything other than trash. RIP to the Godfather of Gore..

Just read an obit on the Guardian that's making me question my 'nice guy' remark above: https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2016/sep/26/herschell-gordon-lewis-schlock-horror-director-blood-feast

Cool promo for the new Phantasm film here: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/191653/phantasm-ravager-featurette-pays-tribute-angus-scrimm/

Getting very excited for this...

Trying to remember the name of a film - rated highly by a few on here, relatively recent, relatively low-budget, think it starts with an A, one word title, think the plot might be something like - someone's sister goes missing - possible involves a tunnel?

Absentia! that's it

feel free to encourage/discourage me viewing it

Watched a cool documentary last night, 42nd Street Memories: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1710898/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Definitely worth checking out if you've got any interest in grindhouse cinema. Lots of interviews with a bunch of horror/exploitation types reminiscing about the scuzzy good ol' days...

everyone needs to see Under the Shadow

I will encourage you because I love that film...

Really shows what you can do with a good idea and a micro budget (the film was made for $70k crowdfunded). It is genuinely unsettling and creepy. I won't discuss what it's about exactly as the less you know beforehand the better.

Going back to the budget briefly though, the main protagonist in the film is a heavily pregnant character. The actress that played her was not only actually six months pregnant at the time but she also served as the line producer on the film. Hardcore.

The director of this is the guy who made Oculus and Hush, so has started to see some mainstream success (although less so with the troubled release of Before I Wake). He's next scheduled to make the sequel to Ouija, which was obviously a bit crap, but apparently this one is unconnected to the original storyline so potentially could be one of those sequels superior to the original.

I bought a couple of copies of Absentia from the pound shop when it had this terribly unrepresentative shlocky cover:

The original is much better:

Finished watching Fortitude recently. Enjoyed it...

Not without its flaws however - the first half of the series is almost glacially slow (pun intended) and then kicks into overdrive for the final few episodes. Some of the action towards the end became a little unbelievable too.

On the plus side however, it looked and sounded great. The Scandi setting made me feel chilly just watching and the soundtrack by Ben Frost (and theme tune by Wildbirds & Peacedrums) was wonderfully Nordic. The ensemble cast was solid throughout, from the big names to the new faces. Special mention for Richard Dormer in the lead role, who you might know from other popular hit support roles such as Beric Dondarrion in Game Of Thrones. Plus, given that the whole series is in thrall to The Thing it's always going to hit the right kind of notes for horror fans.

Be interesting to see where they go with season 2...

As mentioned in the TV series thread I finished watching the second season of Scream last night and overall really enjoyed it.

Other than that I'm going to a horror film festival in a few weeks, it's one of my favourite festivals. Here's the program if anyone fancies having a look, maybe you've already seen some of the films and want to recommend something? All the descriptions are in Foreign but the titles are in English.

Under the Shadow!!!

is Honeymoon a remake of the UK one?

Doesn't look like a remake, here's the IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4459912/

OH right, nah it's not. That one doesn't look too good

But Under the Shadow is definitely on my list!

yesss too right. It's incredible

Everyone I know who has seen Train To Busan has absolutely loved it. I also know a few people who have seen The Greasy Strangler and apparently that is crazy fun.

Blair Witch and Don't Breathe have been discussed and dismissed earlier in this thread. Night Of The Living Deb is recommended just up ^there.

I peronally enjoyed Howl - it is a very English film, with every stereotypical character under the sun (moon?) but enjoyable for that very reason.

Pet was very well received at this year's Frightfest. Red Christmas was not. I thought The Rezort was derivative rubbish, but some people seemed to enjoy it.

I mentioned Ouija: Origin Of Evil on here just this morning - I don't know anyone who has seen this yet so would be good to know if this is any good as it's by the guy who directed Absentia, Oculus and Hush so he's on something of a roll right now. They do actually have his name wrong in the film info however...