A New Running Thread for 2017

Hello!
Been terrible over Xmas! Oh well - backo N it tomorrow

Aims

• up to 15k for my long run by the middle of Feb

• sub 20 5km by the end of the year

That’s it!

did a half in training the other day in 1:46 but that was just after the christmas blowout so reckon I’ve got a 1:40 half in me atm. Will obvs need to up the training to do 3:30 but it’s a target innit. @imipolex what half are you doing in feb, need to get signed up for one

I’m doing the Stockport trail half. It’s a local race (I think there were 350 people last year) along a trail and canal path. It’s just down the road from where I live and is on one of my usual long run routes.

It’s on 26th Feb so fits in well for April marathon training. Here’s the link if you’re interested…

All sounded good until the date, I’m in Berlin that weekend.

I guess Berlin beats running along a canal towpath in Stockport :wink:

1 Like

London Marathon is the big target for me. It’ll be my first marathon (and first time that I’ve run over half-marathon distance). The training has been going pretty well - I had a rough patch in December due to going away and work being very busy, but I seem to have settled back into it.

I did the Buntingford Year End 10 last Tuesday. It was excellent - good course, well organised, plus it showed that my training seems to be working.

Re. marathon training plans: I’m using a bit of a blend of different ones, tailored to suit my other commitments (hockey) and my knees and ankles. Like most training plans it has:

• one long SLOW run a week, of gradually increasing mileage,
  • one tempo (comfortably hard) run a week,
  • one interval session a week (I use hockey for this - you could use five-a-side football or similar)
  • recovery days after hard sessions (very slow, short runs or low-intensity non-impact activities like swimming or cycling)
  • rest days (no activity at all)

And then the overall intensity/distance of each week builds and then steps back in a three-week cycle.

Also, here’s a link to last year’s thread, for ease of reference. It includes discussions on training plans, training using heart rate monitors etc:

Any decent watches in the sales or anything. Have always turned my nose up at them a bit but need to do paced training runs and I’m shit at running to any set pace other than fast 5k and threshold long distance pace, so might pick one up

I’ve got one of these which does the job and is currently £40 off on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Activity-Trackers/Garmin-Vivosmart-Smart-Notification-Wrist-Monitor-Regular/B0177V0H7K/

Does that show your pace?

Yeah, you can set it to show split time over a km or a mile and adjust accordingly, is that what you meant?

yeah that’s what I need, does it/can it sync up to strava?

Aye, it syncs to Strava but doesn’t actually map the run or elevation like the Strava app itself does which is a minor pain. It has it’s own app as well which is fairly detailed

hmm, might have a look at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Sports-GPS-Runner-Watch/dp/B00D7LN7K4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483526828&sr=8-1&keywords=strava+watch

I picked up one of those when my Garmin died. The new Garmins only seem to display two things at a time and I’d been used to having pace, distance and time available plus it was about £70 when I bought it.

Syncs with the TomTom app on your phone and then sends the data to Strava avoiding the need to plug it in to a computer to upload any runs.

I have the updated version of this watch and I like it a lot. I have the Cardio version which has a heart rate monitor on the back too, which I’ve found to be accurate enough for my needs.

As @chadders says, the TomTom app works well and syncs to Strava really easily.

Review of it here:

Looks like you can get it for under £100 here, too:

http://www.run4it.com/TomTom-Runner-2-Cardio-p/vmp2016053112230004.htm?gclid=CIHpqpfbqNECFcMYGwod0doJUw

Hello, friends. Talk to me about running jackets for when it’s fucking cold, is this sort of thing good:

Depends how hot or cold you get while running. Personally, I can’t wear anything more than a t-shirt and shorts plus gloves without getting too uncomfortably hot, even in sub-zero temperatures.

Many people swear by the windbreaker-type of jacket, rather than one that’s lined, as the latter is too warm once you get moving. Steer clear of anything that will absorb rain or mist as you run through it - it’ll get heavy and freeze on you.

Either way, aim for something breathable, but also consider getting something reflective if you’re going to be running in the dark during this part of the year.

Dunno, I just layer up. Baselayer, Running T and and old Hoody or an Asics yellow sweat if its that cold, beanie at a push. I did get a Inov8 jacket to keep the moisture out but that offers no warmth at all.

1 Like

Cheers pal, I tend to have been ok in shorts and t-shirt so far but I’ve not been out in anything like as cold as it’s been the last couple of days and am planning on starting my runs to/from work as of next week so I’m thinking a jacket will be smart (particularly so I have something to wear on the non-run leg of each day as well in fairness)