A New Running Thread for 2017

I’ve been using this as a guide, with my week consisting of one long run, one tempo run, one interval session (hockey match), and one or two recovery runs:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrtp?minHR=45&maxHR=189&Submit=Calculate

(plug your own numbers in there to get the HR zones)

I’m awful at pacing, i’d say that’s my one main barrier to training effectively. always tend to start out way too quick and then be impatient and it means so many miles are junk.

1 Like

I also blame strava for making me want to beat segment PBs all the time

Def take a few days off if this is the case. You’re not getting the recovery you should be if you’re going too fast in slower runs and on a 5-6 day a week plan.

Anyone doing the Leeds half in May btw, seems the perfect time after the marathon to get fresh for it

Yeah, more rest than you think you need. Rest until you think you feel better and then double it.

Ok, cheers.

So my half marathon is on April 30th, I did 18km a fortnight ago, if realistically I need to give myself a good fortnight off I’m gonna be struggling to get any sort of distance in between now and the race aren’t I :disappointed:

I do exactly this - all my runs are way too fast and I get overtired and feel sick…

18km is so very nearly a half - you won’t notice those last 3 kms adding all that much I don’t reckon - race day atmosphere, running in a crowd, etc. - you’ll be fine!

It’s just fucking boring running at a comfortable pace for an hour and a half innit. Like I know it’s the sensible thing to do and I plan runs with that in mind, but it’s funner to run your legs off and make yourself vom in a bush

Aye, I wasn’t planning on doing any more than that but was hoping to at least repeat it once before race day.

Will just see how I go I guess, was hoping for a 1:50 or so for this year but might have to adjust that a bit and aim for somewhere near that for Ealing instead.

you never know, if you’ve been training up to 18km already then a decent spot of rest might have you feeling mega fresh come the end of april and you’ll smash it.

3 Likes

Hopefully, the worry I have is that I think I ran the 18k without being ready for it (hence the fact I’m struggling now) so lightning won’t strike twice or something, we shall see.

not sure about the vomming in a bush but it is more tedious running well within your limitations… for me it’s as much about when i run - often before work, which means i want to be home and showering and drinking coffee sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Turns out I’ve got peroneal tendonitis. Week off and ice, dodged a bullet

1 Like

Sounds rubbish, whatever it is. Rest up and feel better soon! A bit of forced time off can actually do wonders for your form, I’ve found, even if it feels a bit shit at the time.

Just the tendon that runs from your little toe round the outside of your ankle. I can still ride on it so might go for a day on the bike to keep the fitness up this weekend

1 Like

You’ve probably already googled it, but this has some exercises that should help:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/peroneal-tendinitis-tendonitis/

finally got confirmation of a physio appointment tomorrow after work so obviously my ankle felt fine for the first time in ages tonight. Still gunna go to make sure I’m doing the right things, and got a green light today in a consultation phone call to be able to run on it without risking major damage. So all looking positive again.

2 Likes

:+1: