A New Running Thread for 2017

Are you wanting to run from where you’re staying, or catch a tube/bus there? Will you be running in daylight or when it’s dark (some parks shut at dusk and some paths are not lit)?

I’d avoid the South Bank as it can be really busy with tourists, but you can run along Embankment to Parliament Square, then turn right and you’re at St James’s Park. A loop of that will get you to Green Park, and a loop of that will get you to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.

An alternative would be to run in the opposite direction to Limehouse Basin, up Regents Canal to Victoria Park. From there you can do a loop of Victoria Park and if you want, cut via Hackney Wick across to the River Lea Navigation by the Olympic Park. You can do a quick loop of that or head up the towpath to Coppermill Lane and back down through the nature reserve (you can see where this loop goes on Strava on the long run I did at the weekend).

Finish work at half 5 then got to get to the hotel, check in and change before running so most of it will be in the dark. Will have a look at both ta

If it’s dark, then Victoria Park and Southwark Park close at about 6.30pm and the nature reserve is unlit, so I’d avoid them.

right, probs do Green Park/Hyde Park then

Oh yeah, been locked in Victoria Park a few times after playing cricket. Stupid closing at sunset rule.

I find that the little electrical cabinets are good for standing on to get over the fence.

Having said that, I’m amazed that more people don’t get speared while hopping over.

fuuuuuuuuck it’s all getting a bit real mates.

Good luck @imipolex

2 Likes

Yeah, good luck man! Looks like the weather’s going to be perfect for it.

Just did a 10k, shins were fine, knee started to go a bit at the end, gonna be really touch and go for the Hackney Half I think…

3:28:36 ladsladslads

8 Likes

Christ! Nice one pal, unbelievable going!

1 Like

Incredible work!

I did 3:36:52. Pretty pleased as it knocks 8 mins off last year’s time. Messed up my pacing though and struggled in the last few

5 Likes

Great time—hope you’re proud of yourself/drunk

1 Like

Well played, superb!

1 Like

Nice. I think I saw you around mile 18 and tried to get a look at your name on your number without looking like a freak, but failed

2 Likes

Just looked at Strava Flyby and it doesn’t looked like we passed each other.

Lucky escape - last thing you want to do is start yelling “drownedinsound dot com” to strangers at mile 18 of a marathon :wink:

2 Likes

Marathons are touch move your fucking shits!

2 Likes

I have had a cloud water v 13 and a mikkeller mosaic. On my way back to sheffield to smash the equally nice beers I bought in preparation yesterday and get a Chinese and watch match of the day (I’m not driving )

Good day for aggers

Sounds about right. After Brighton marathon next weekend I plan to have my first triple (veggie) burger w/ peanut butter + chilli from this local burger chain Grubbs. Think it’ll be harder than the run.

Just got beers in and ordered a massive Indian takeaway. Feel like it’s been earned!

2 Likes