A New Running Thread for 2017

My girlfriend did it last year. It’s pretty hilly at the start, and then a bit bleak as it goes out to the power station where there are no crowds, and you can see exactly how far you have to run, but the support at the finish is amazing.

Going to cheer her on there was the big motivator for me wanting to step up to the distance.

Apparently there is now an Entertainment/Cheer Point at the power station:

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/sites/default/files/imce/7106GE%20Marathon%20Course%20map%202017[1].pdf

There was last year:

I take it it wasn’t very entertaining or cheery then? Someone needs to be sacked.

Not really, no.

The good thing about the route is that it is pretty easy to see someone multiple times, with just a little walking. I think I managed to cheer on my girlfriend at five different locations on the route.

knowing how much of a boost seeing someone you know can be when the going gets tough, that’s actually a big plus.
i was mortified at the hackney half last year when my wife told me her and my son had seen me earlier in the course than i’d expected - my son ran alongside about 100m shouting at me but i was totally oblivious…

Yeah, I’ve got a few friends and family who have said that they’ll be cheering me on in the marathon, and I’ve had to ask them to tell me where they will be standing, to within a hundred yards, and on what side of the road, as I have a tendency to daydream and go into a bit of tunnel vision when I run.

I thought I’d run past my GF and dad at the manchester marathon at a couple of points, but it turned out I’d just beaten them to each spot by a couple of minutes

Oh, that reminds me about the other thing that’s very good about the Brighton Marathon: the spectator app.

So much better than the London Marathon one, not least because it doesn’t fall over every time you try and check a runner’s position.

I used to have a chaffing issue too…but I use medicated talc which seems to soothe and stop further chaffing.
It’s cheap in boots!

It’s not his boots that are causing the chafing…

1 Like

2 Likes

Tbh it’s easy to miss people even when you’re looking out for them, particularly in busier parts of the course.

It was great—lovely atmosphere and a weird and varied course. I wouldn’t run it again I don’t think, but purely because I’m overly familiar with the route from training etc.

If you’d like to do a marathon, I can’t see why Brighton wouldn’t be a good choice.

These two blog posts are fascinating, if you’re a BIG DATA nerd, like me:

this is amazing. I loves a nice line graph.

“However, those in the 2-3 hour finish time band only run on average between 4 and 5 days a week. This might sound like a lot, but it is less than most training programs suggest, most recommend one rest day ever other week.” - really??

For a 2-3 hour time, I think they do. Many recommend no rest days at all.

Yeah, 6 days a week is standard for a 3 hour plan. For sub 2:45, then you’re into the realms of 2 runs a day.

for sub 2:45 you’re in the realms of get the fuck outta here.

2 Likes

Big fan of this:

Might map out a route to draw a nob on my next run.

1 Like