A New Running Thread for 2017

:laughing: :laughing: :joy:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:joy: :face_vomiting:

Just signed up to the Strava group. Still very much a newbie to running, but on a whim I downloaded a couch to 5k app a couple of months ago and have worked through that, so normally running 6-8km about three times a week at the moment. Aiming for a 10k before autumn properly kicks in…

7 Likes

What are everyone’s targets now? What events have you got coming up?

I’m still stepping up my running after the injury, but it seems to be getting there. Exercises from the physio and cycling in to work 2/3 times a week is helping as well.

I’m currently running 5k twice a week, and will look to step that up as I have the Ealing Half Marathon at the end of September. I’ve mapped out a quick training plan and I think that’s doable.

After that, I want to settle into a routine of running home (13k) twice a week, and cycling 3 times a week. I’m pretty confident that I can maintain that long-term if I want.

I’ll be entering the Buntingford Year End 10 mile race again - I really enjoyed it last year, so might step up the training distances a little in the month beforehand.

How about everyone else?

finally ran for the first time in ages this weekend. Somehow PB’d the parkrun and was annoyingly close to breaking 20 minutes so going to make sure I do that, and maybe the sheffield 10k in september

Do you think that’s due to the cycling?

I’m not as fit as when I did the marathon (obviously), but cycling seems to have given me a bit more speed and a feeling of looseness over those kind of distances that I didn’t really have before.

mix of things I reckon

cause of marathon training this was one of the first times I’ve done the marathon with fresh legs. Reckon if I’d ran it 3 weeks after the marathon I’d have dipped under 20.

Obviously cycling’s good cardio work, but I think the main thing it helps with (especially riding round sheffield) is pushing through pain. the pain of cycling up a big hill is a lot more intense than anything you get with running, which meant I was running through stitches etc. on saturday that probably would’ve slowed me down before

I can’t tell if this means you’re doing cycling wrong, or doing running right, or if I’m doing it the other way around…

I don’t run up stupid hills.
if people go up this without being in pain they’re doing cycling wrong or are on lots of EPO
https://m.strava.com/segments/6697336

5 mins at 1:8 is fine…

Full scale marathon training mode for me, Oslo on Sep 16th. Did about 32.5km on Sunday and hit the wall harder than I think i’ve ever hit before on about 25km, think a combo of the heat, more hills than usual, and insufficient liquids/nutrition. lesson learned. actually stopped at finsbury park, gave up and got the tube home, which is not usual. once again i’ve got a stag do a week before the marathon which will serve to amp up the pre-run anxiety no doubt. first marathon i did i went to a stag in cardiff a week prior and ended up missing my coach home and hanging out outside the station until the first train the next morning…

2 Likes

Ealing half. Gonna really struggle for it though I think. Plan is to run to work (5k on the nose) three times a week and do a progressively longer run each weekend and see how I get on.

Oh, and sorry I’ve not been keeping up with all the kudos-giving on strava recently. Only checking in once a week, plus the app shifting to a non-chronological timeline, defeated me.

Now I’m running more frequently, hopefully I can get back on it.

1 Like

A stag do on a taper sounds like a good way to relax, to be honest. As long as you don’t go too crazy or injure yourself, obviously…

I’ve got my first ever half marathon coming up on Sunday! I had high hopes in training for it but I’ve had some heavy drinking sessions the last few weeks so have had to taper those back a bit. Aiming to finish under 1h50m.

After that I have another one booked in Belgium in October. I’m going to miss a lot of training before then as I’m going travelling for three weeks, so I’ll probably be hoping to maintain my time and not much more.

2 Likes

it’s longer than 5 minutes
it’s hard work
if it’s not hard work, ride faster (sorry for clogging up the running thread with bike chat)

…keep forgetting this thread exists, it’s good motivation hearing everyone else’s goals and achievements. Currently doing between 6 to 8 miles around 5 times a week. Will probably do the Glasgow half in October and might try for a PB for that if I do.

What kind of distances do you regular marathon runners run when not training? I’ve only done one marathon so far but would like to do another at some point, and would like to keep my fitness levels up enough to improve I guess.

Take at least two of the commute runs, plus the longer runs nice and slow (like, 1min/km slower than your planned race pace), and you should be okay, I think.

1 Like

Aye, think it’s about getting the miles back in my legs more than anything at this point, so depressing how much a couple of months off affects you.