A New Running Thread for 2017

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, was really just hanging on at the end.

My half pace is on for 3:08 and even my pace through 30 once I’d consciously pulled back a bit would be equivalent to a 3:11 or thereabouts.

Think I could be a good runner if I took it seriously. Just not sure if I really want to be. You’ve got to dedicate a lot of time to speedwork, hills, intervals etc. and I just didn’t do any of that.

Ultimately I didn’t give the distance the respect it deserves, either in training or on the day, and I really suffered for it!

Did the Birmingham marathon this morning. Managed 3:52, a full 16 mins slower than Manchester in April :sob: Think this was down to a combination of hills, not enough fast running in training and getting about 2 hours sleep last night due to my son getting sick.

Think with the amount of time I can dedicate to running, marathon’s probably not the best distance to aim for. Reckon I have a sub 20 parkrun and a sub 95 min HM in me, so these are the next goal :running_woman: :muscle:

6 Likes

these are exactly my targets. Race ya

(great stuff today too!)

1 Like

Did Amsterdam marathon yesterday, would thoroughly recommend it but it was HOT.

Might do Tromso midnight sun marathon in 2018.

6 Likes

How did you get on, friend?

My time was terrible, 4.24, I was on course for 4 hours at 13 miles, I don’t know what happened! I’ve had a little epiphany since that I need to stop fretting about time. I am never going to be a fast runner, so it’s unhelpful to beat myself up about the fact that I can’t run every run faster than the last.

4.24 seems very, very far from terrible in heat tbh, well played! Great stuff!

5 Likes

Signing up for the Llanelli half in February, hopefully it won’t snow.

4:24 is far from terrible! Despite being generally flat, Amsterdam isn’t the fastest course at all, and especially if it was hot that’s a decent effort (the heat would explain the fade).
Hope you enjoyed some of the incredible chips they serve at the stadium.

1 Like

Just signed up for the Hackney Half again next year and I WILL do it in under two hours this year. You all have permission to mock me relentlessly if I fail to.

2 Likes

I’ve signed up as well, so you’re guaranteed clear blue skies, blazing sun and scorching temperatures.

Sorry.

1 Like

That’s a given, friend.

Can i mock you regardless?

In all seriousness, find a six-month training plan and train for 1.45, but run for 2.00.

Start now, very slowly and you should be able to build up gradually enough for your body to not break down.

2 Likes

Well done! And colour me intrigued about this midnight sun marathon…

This is excellent advice

1 Like

Please do!

1 Like

Do you think Kipchoge trains for a 1.45 marathon?

Got a definite 2 halves booked up for next year. The Big Half in London, which I’m hoping will be a nice substitute for got getting into the marathon proper. And Paddock Wood, which is the only half I have done before, so looking to improve my time there (1.54).

Also planning on doing this silly chocolate run, that could get up to half-marathon distance, if I’ve trained enough after Christmas and I can be bothered on the day.

http://www.saxon-shore.com/Chocathon_Fowlmead/

Cheers pal :+1:

Gonna get cracking on it once the game is out on Nov 10th and yeah, actually be sensible about it this time and build up instead of getting carried away with a massively premature 18k and resulting injury like I did this year…