A New Running Thread for 2017

Looks like a nice event. Could be interested in something to focus on for the new year…

1 Like

Mine started to flare up a bit yesterday as well. Fucking pain in the arse. I’ve replaced my daily trainers with something a bit less flat as I think my walking 6 miles a day in my normal pair was exacerbating the issue, hopefully this helps it.

I’ve enjoyed it the past couple of years. It’s pretty flat as it goes out along an old railway line and comes back along a canal path.

Also quite tempted by this, but the multiple laps put me off a bit:

Yeah, I quite fancy something off-road relying speed (relative term!). Really need to get some kind of routine back in to running and a goal will help that. Do you know what the overall ascent is, as in how flat is flat?

Might be up for this. @TontonZolaMoukoko ?

1 Like

Strava reckons 78m overall, here’s the elevation plot from the activity:

Oh man, I hope that works for you!

I don’t do a huuuuuge amount of walking, although I run up and down stairs a fair bit at work, I guess, so hopefully it’s getting enough rest. It sometimes feels like something’s growing under there and forcing my shinbone out of my leg (not hyperbole, honest).

1 Like

Physio said a bit of running would probably be good for the ol hammy so don’t see why not. Would mean I’d need to buy some trail shoes though. Think my last pair were worn out.

balls to that I’ll just do it in my brogues

Finished my seven day streak this morning. Have to say it’s felt good to get out every day, but I’ve definitely slowed down considerably the past couple of days. Clocked up just shy of 30k over those seven days, so not a huge distance, but still feel good for it.

However, really looking forward to my rest day tomorrow, then we’ll see whether I can be arsed with parkrun on Saturday or not.

3 Likes

It’s on a pretty firm footpath and a canal towpath so don’t really need trail shoes unless it’s been raining heavily. I often run the route on long runs and it’s always been fine in road shoes.

Shhhhhhhh I can use it as an excuse to buy some new ones :smiley:

1 Like

Fast flat marathon in a nice city for a long weekend, hmu

In the UK or abroad?

2018 or 2019 entry?

Either, but cheapish and not mad hot if abroad.

Berlin, Frankfurt or Rotterdam

alright, the beautiful south!

(thanks, will have a look at Frankfurt and Rotterdam, went to Berlin this year (the city, not the marathon))

Berlin, Chicago and Amsterdam are meant to be good for PBs. You may struggle to get in for 2018 though.

Abingdon, Manchester and Edinburgh are also good for PBs in the UK.

Edinburgh was one I was eyeing up. 27th May is ideal date wise for me too

Does Edinburgh no longer finish uphill to the castle?