A New Running Thread for 2021

Here’s my current one, but obviously this is very much subject to (my) taste

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Got some well dodgy Strava data today. First two or three k were much faster than I could have done them. Smashed all my records but it’s not legit but now they are set as my records… Doesn’t really matter but still pretty annoying.

This is really annoying on Strava. Pretty much all of my PBs are from when I did a (slow) half marathon and it went through the Limehouse Link, which threw my GPS out by a several kilometres. I don’t want to delete that activity, because it was a half marathon that I did, but I can’t remove that one activity from my PBs.

Loads of people have asked Strava to add this feature, because of the risk of GPS fails screwing records up, but they’ve never introduced it. If you don’t want to delete it and re-add it manually, then if you send the link to the activity through to strava support, they can do it from their end.

Had a lovely run in the sun this morning. It finally felt like the first day of spring.

I sent them a note about the data. If you look at the mapped bit it looks like I’m zigzagging when I was just going straight up a long road. It says I did 11.5k and I think I did just under 11.

Oh, that’s not too bad, compared to this…

Which added 2km to my distance…

Wow, yeah it’s not that bad just stacked at the beginning so I’m smashing 400,1k, 1 mile etc the 10k is still well beatable (eventually) just the shorter distances.

@marckee @anon29812515 pretty sure if you flag your own activities on strava it doesn’t save any PBs and keeps the distance on your profile too, though i imagine it won’t save any segment/ split PBs, not just the one(s) which is dodgy

1 Like

Although I did have new socks on. Maybe they’re lightening quick.

Ah. That then gives you the option of making it ‘Private’, which removes it from leaderboards too.

Thanks!

1 Like

I TAUGHT MARCKEE SOMETHNG!!! WHERE’S MY BADGE!?!

2 Likes

in all serious though i use it quite a bit, i’ve a four year old phone and probably too impatient for the gps to properly connect. not sure about setting to private, but it’s definitely helped me keep on track of accurate PBs

I’ve just gone through my PBs and stripped out all those done during a three month period where I had to use my phone.

RIP fast times.

1 Like

Been running a few 5ks recently (about one every five days or so) and have noticed that it has knackered my knees. They feel okay on the run itself but tend to ache for most of the week afterwards.

Different people are telling me different things for what the cause could be. Some say form, some say I need to bend my knees more (I’m 6ft 4’') and others say its my shoes. Any of you experienced runners got any wisdom to share?

I run on pavements, which may also add to the issue.

:joy:

Shoes probably! My knees started hurting recently too but only cause my shoes were so worn out. Got new shoes and it doesn’t seem to be an issue just yet (although only done 2 runs this week)

My shoes are new! But maybe just not very good? I’ve got these.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-energy-falcon-mens-trainers-211145

Mine have been a bit iffy the past year or so, pretty sure it’s because I’m doing barely any walking in my day to day life anymore :frowning: So basically muscle imbalances. Found doing some squats (unweighted is fine) and lunges on off days & also as part of my warm up helps a lot.

1 Like

Might be worth icing your knees when they’re sore (bag of peas or whatever in a tea towel) and have a few weeks of running shorter distances but more frequently (like every other day) to condition your legs. I wouldn’t worry about your shoes, but some stretching and strengthening is always good.

1 Like