A New Running Thread for 2021

got some new shoes in the sales. theyre ok, comfy but not as quick as my adidas bostons. which is weird cos a few years ago i wouldve said a shoes a shoe etc. :confused:

1 Like

Am I right in thinking, generally, less cushioning/ less drop = faster? Seems to be the way for me.

Also, on distancing etiquette, I think thereā€™s just common sense to be had. People strolling probably donā€™t expect bikes or runners to be coming up behind them, makes sense to give em the 2m swerve. Letā€™s all get along x

Newport Marathon postponed until Octoberā€¦thank fuck. Gives me plenty of time to get right, had a couple of minor injuries recently and hadnā€™t started the training plan so itā€™s a massive relief.

I dunno tbhā€¦ seems to be a factor, along with weight :confused: but theres so much broscience going into shoes im not sure how it all correlates. :man_shrugging:

First run in 2 months without needing to wear a base layer: lovely stuff.

1 Like

Got my first 100km of the year done :slight_smile:

Going for 1200km in 2021. Contemplating a couple more runs this month to give myself an easier February as a treat. Thatā€™s how boring my life is.

9 Likes

Been doing 10km a day.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Thatā€™s just showing offā€¦

Iā€™ve done 202km in 2021

1 Like

I wanted to also do 100km a month but Iā€™ve also put myself on a half marathon plan so I want to take that seriously which involves not running as much as I would (only 3 runs a week but longer and other shit like sprinting).

Think Iā€™ll end up doing maybe 86km in Jan on my plan so not too far off

2 Likes

Oh excellent! When is the half?

Well I am booked in for the Hackney half in May but my half marathon plan ends in early April so might attempt it on my own then do the Hackney half the month after. Iā€™ll need some advice on what to do in the month between to try to maintain it as I have no clue!!

1 Like

192km so far. Pacing a pal for a half marathon effort this weekend so will end up around 230km for January.

Aim is about 1600 for the year but itā€™ll go down once I can play football again. Going to try to get 5k and 10k PBs before lockdown ends

1 Like

Iā€™m on a 1000 miles (Iā€™ve still no idea why I default to miles over kms) target for the year. Up at 86.2 at the moment, should hit the 100 for January with a long run at the weekend.

1 Like

I thought that sashimi to read 1000 miles in 2021!

Sashimi?

Your fitness wonā€™t really drop off so donā€™t worry about that. Rest and ticking over with occasional gentle runs should be fine.

If you want to run a time at the Hackney half then donā€™t run full pace in the April one and use it to get the distance in your legs

U wot m8?

Oh cool. I think Iā€™m doing Hackney too? I signed up to the 2020 one for Shelter but that obviously got postponed/rolled over, and I havenā€™t heard anything from Shelter yet about if my place is still mine. Should probably ask!

1 Like

Yeah I thought I wouldnā€™t need to do loads between! Hackney half will probably be cancelled anyway but Iā€™m not interested in a specific time, I would just like to achieve it as Iā€™ve never run more than about 13km!

Iā€™m really enjoying the plan though. It keeps me much more interested than just going out for a run which is what I did for the whole of last year