A New Running Thread for 2021

Really happy with my Garmin forerunner 235. The new version is more expensive and has a load of unnecessary stuff like Spotify built into it, but you can normally pick up the older one second hand for a decent price

i can second this (I have the 230 which is the same, but without GPS). I wear mine as my everyday watch. Going strong after 2 or 3 years

Signed up for the strava challenge of 100km in December, thinking Iā€™d just use it to track how much I do, but now I really want to do it and have a big calendar plan. Made difficult by inevitable hungover time around Christmas. I like running in the cold though so thatā€™s good. If anyone wants to cajole me into not giving up come the new year thatā€™d be swell

1 Like

64km to go on my 1000km for the year. CBA but also very much want to finish it. Hhmmm

5 Likes

Iā€™ve just ticked over 500 miles for the year, which was my goal. Pleased with that, and thinking Iā€™ll push to 900km (so about another 90k). Need to work out what I want to aim for in 2021. Got two marathons in the book (Manchester and London) but (a) donā€™t know if Iā€™ll want to do both as theyā€™re a week apart, and given this year (b) sod knows if theyā€™ll happen.

If we are all smashing down some numbersā€¦ since I started in October
Oct - 132 miles
Nov - 168 miles
Dec - 45 miles

(had walked 891 miles mid May to end of Sep)

1 Like

Iā€™ll take your Manchester entry if you want to get rid of it and itā€™s allowed

42k to go for my 1500km annual goal.

Thought Iā€™d get nowhere near it but ended up doing 70km weeks through lockdown 2

2 Likes

56km off 1000km for me, was flying towards that target up to about a fortnight ago when the weather turned and I picked up a bit of a niggle setting a new 10k PB.

Now feeling very much like a slog to get over the line but Iā€™m determined to do it as Iā€™ll be furious with myself if I donā€™t.

Looking back I canā€™t believe the progress Iā€™ve made since starting running again in March, been amazing for my mental and physical health and itā€™s probably not an exaggeration to say that running has comfortably been the biggest factor in me coping with 2020 in a semi-OK way.

4 Likes

Cool Iā€™ll keep you posted.

Yeah absolutely. The weather isnā€™t helping, and the ground on my usual path is slippery AND sticky now! Gotta do it though - like you Iā€™ll be so annoyed at myself if I donā€™t.

100% this too. May and June especially I got so into it, it was such a welcome distraction from all of this

2 Likes

Ngh

Based on doing three a week I was on track to finish up by next Friday (which is going to be my last day of work) but the weather was so relentlessly foul last week I only made it out once.

Iā€™m determined to finish but as an early morning runner and without the trigger of having to work getting me out of bed, oh boy

2 Likes

I pretty much ice skated my way around an 8k on Sunday, and that was mainly sticking to the main roads! Everything has thawed again now, so just got to contend with the relentless drizzle, wet leaves and the temptation of staying in front of a fire with Xmas snacks nowā€¦

Going to try and knock out at least 20-25k this week and next, then itā€™s just a case of finding a couple of days for some short runs over the Xmas/Hogmanay week to get me over the line.

With the exception of completing a sub-2hr half (which Iā€™m going to attempt again in Jan/Feb, was on track until the weather and injury made it a no-go), ticking over the 1000km mark is the only goal Iā€™ve set this year that is still to go, which is pretty insane to me given I could barely jog 2k without being on my arse in March.

Kicked in yesterday morning just as I was at the furthest point from home.

Love ya Scotland :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Iā€™m at just over 1500km YTD but have an annoying injury now so wonā€™t be doing much more before Xmas. Still a record year for me though :+1:

3 Likes

On 1405km for the year, I was aiming for 1600km but injury seems to have put paid to that. Thereā€™s a slim chance I get to 1500km.

Calf tightened on Sundayā€™s run so I sensibly sacked it off and walked the rest of the way home, there also appears to be a glute/back issue to top things off.

2 Likes

Iā€™m at 1,080k for the year having pretty muxh never run before. Like @blind_pilot said it-s helped me cope with 2020.

2 Likes

So far this year

5 Likes

I tend to work in miles, Iā€™m not sure why, kms always sound better because there are more of them! Anyway, set myself a 750 mile target for the year and am likely to hit 900 miles by year end. Especially pleased with this. All my runs have slowed uo considerably, but Iā€™ve just given up caring about that. Just enjoying getting out and moving my legs.

Iā€™ve got two events lined up for next year so far; Brighton Marathon pushed back from this year in October and Richmond Marathon which will hopefully still go ahead on 27th March.

1 Like

Is that ā€˜barefootā€™ barefoot, or with barefoot running shoes?

One of my girlfriendā€™s colleagues does all his running barefoot, ranging from trail running to running around the streets and parks of Hackney.

(heā€™s also really quick, too - sub-40 minute 10k in his late-50s)