A playing live for beginners thread - sort of thing

If it’s good enough for her, it’s good enough for me.
:smile:

I don’t know mate…sounds a bit dodgy…

2 Likes

If I were you I’d export your backing tracks from GarageBand, with the requisite bits muted, then have those those ready to play in an audio player app (eg AudioShare)
I’d be a bit worried using GarageBand live, with the risk of tracks accidentally getting unmuted, sounds inadvertently changing etc. That might just be me being a nervous nelly though.

1 Like

That is a very good idea and I hadn’t considered it. Cheers.

2 Likes

Some of the best advice I can give is if you’re a guitarist or playing an amplified instrument (or sing) get as much as volume as you need in your monitors and never turn up your amp mid gig as it just fucks everyone and will make everyone sound like shit and the sound person will hate you.

Always take photos of your settings after soundcheck too.

I literally just ask for myself in my monitors, I can always hear everyone else. Of the times I’ve played big festival stages I’ve also asked for kick and snare as that’s probably the most important thing for me to hear other than myself.

Everyone’s different though and it takes time to work out what works for you, but once you get it will save loads of time and make soundchecks a breeze

5 Likes

You can have it as loud or as quiet as you want, if you think it’s too loud out front in soundcheck just say so and obvs your monitor(s) can be adjusted to your liking.
Sound person might prefer you playing at a quieter volume anyway as it gives them more control/headroom to adjust things once people are in the room.

I think going to a rehearsal room with a pa is a big help in dealing with this and getting you used to playing through a big system rather than just at home and from there you can get a better understanding of what works for you

3 Likes