A Primer for Spiritual Jazz

Hey everyone! My buddy and I just released episode 34 of our Philosophy of the World Podcast. This month we put together a primer on Spiritual Jazz. Let me know what some of your spiritual jazz albums are.

Listen here: https://wp.me/p9zssl-4r
Or you can check it out on any podcast app.

3 Likes

Genuinely interested in this.

4 Likes

this looks good! Will check it out at some point today. My spiritual jazz knowledge is pretty much just the Coltranes and Pharoah Sanders. And I guess some of Sun Ra counts?

2 Likes

Thanks for checking it out! Yeah, I would say some Sun Ra definitely counts - we don’t play any of his material on this episode, but he definitely comes up in our discussions. A lot of cool stuff to dig into in this sub-genre.

Been listening to the wonderful vinyl reissue of this little beauty recently

2 Likes

Nice, hadn’t heard of that record until it got reissued recently. Great album!

Looking forward to listening to this, don’t know much beyond Alice Coltrane.

1 Like

Will definitely be checking this out, can’t get enough spiritual jazz. Pharaoh Sanders’ Hum Allah is my favourite jazz track of all time.

1 Like

There are a couple of excellent Soul Jazz compilations whose names I can’t remember but will post later.

Edit - one of them is called New Thing!

1 Like

A couple of the early Soul Jazz compilations touch on this - Universal Sounds of America and Soul Jazz Loves Strata East are both absolutely brilliant, two of my favourite compilations of any type ever.

New Thing! is a more recent visit to the same territory and also very good.

2 Likes

I don’t know the first two and will be purchasing them ASAP.

1 Like

Couple of classics, one from each of those compilations:

2 Likes

Thanks for listening. Alice Coltrane is absolutely amazing, but there is so much more.

1 Like

Pharoah Sanders is one of my all time favorites in general - especially his work during this period. Thanks for listening!