A rice cooker

Good for sterilising a breast pump

2 Likes

also

hot milk
oh shit i’d better put some veg on the kids plates - do you want peas or beans with your fish fingers and chips kids?

I’ve taken to baking a bit of broccoli with the FF and chips - he doesn’t like it anyway so why bother cooking it in a better way?

2 Likes

so true. At least with the youngest we’re just past the stage where any food they don’t want to eat is flung in disgust across the table

I’m convinced that my three year old is going to be a great eater

1 Like

I’m shocked this got more than 20 replies. Good work everyone

They also are very handy if you’re pushed for time and want to do a fried rice dish. Banged out a kedgeree the other week by frying one of the Tilda ones off and it worked perfectly.

A rice cooker is an excellent purchase if you eat a lot of rice. I don’t eat a lot of rice so I don’t have one (used to and it delivered high quality outcomes every time).

1 Like

It’s been very useful for me! Automatically shuts off when done, I don’t have worry about hovering around the stove when I’m rushing about doing other tasks, and it’s easy to add greens or other veggies at the end for a bit of steaming.

1 Like

I only eat brown rice. I have a pretty good method - rinse, preferably soak. Double water volume, cook LOW for 10 mins. Drain. Return to pan with lid on and steam for 30 mins. It takes a long time, well 40 mins actually, but does me well.

Talk to me about brown rice.

1 Like

Just don’t drink tea or don’t be forgetful, easy.

Fair, but no (adult) food prep!

Those are only useful if you have a microwave, though.

1 Like

I’ve been bleating on about my rice cooker since February! Full game changer. I hated rice. Now I love rice.

Rice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Perfected-Lloytron-Automatic-Cooker-White/dp/B00VBRO6Z6/ref=lp_3538364031_1_6/257-6271890-7426767?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1568296723&sr=1-6

1 Like

Microwaves are actually way worse than toasters, only place they’re worth a damn is in the workplace

wfh
I’m so stoned

hold on this isn’t my house

Home is where your rice cooker is.

my microwave

3 Likes

You can also use them to steam or boil vegetables! Very useful for poor people without a lot of room available to cook or even a proper kitchen in which to do so.

Hmm, I’d dispute that gadgets like this save space in a small kitchen, but ok. I am choosing not to die on a mound of rice

Mostly that someone might only have one or two pots and/or pans and a rice cooker cooks more than rice, so you can make a sauce or cook meat on your stove-top while also cooking rice and/or veggies. I’ve been in apartments where there was no stove, too, so a rice cooker helps more than you’d think.