A rolling thread to log food and drink that has made you want to cry.

Thanks for the inspo eric.

Please don’t be fast and loose with what I’m asking for here. I don’t just want really good food and drink, it has to have been so good that it elicited the feeling in you at the time of wanting to cry.

For me, both have occurred this year.

• Shak Fuyu matcha ice cream and french toast
  • Lemon curd cocktail from Petit Cafe in Liverpool

i don’t think this has ever happened to me

what an empty shell of a life

8 Likes

There’s time yet, I can’t remember if it happened to me before this year.

There’s definitely some stand out meals in my life but these were totally different - wanting to cry was also accompanied by the overwhelming urge to put my face into them :laughing:

2 Likes

*shelf

1 Like

It has happened to me twice.

Once in Siopa Gan Ainm, a small farm shop in Cork. The rashers they had were the most beautiful I’ve ever tasted, they even had hair poking out of the fat. Shed a tear on the first bite.

Second time was in outside a tapas place on Carrer De Rogent in Barcelona. Bit into my first ever choricito and tears flooded down my face. A joyous moment.

3 Likes

Oh no, me too, what if it only ever happens twice?!

Or maybe with two dishes, I can cope with that because I can go back for more.

A few weeks ago, these tacos. The beef had been cooked for about 12 hours and when I had that first bite it was just overwhelmingly good

Also I went to Malaga in 2012 with my family and me and my dad ordered this giant ox chop thing to share (on the advice of the waiter, we initially wanted one each) and it was the best meal I’ve ever had.

2 Likes

It happens to me about once a month, don’t panic.

1 Like

aside from the lobster bisque i had today (which i’m slightly ashamed to say was from coco di mama lol)

the one previous to that i can think of was the crab kare ramen from CBRB in manchustuh, seriously jonesing to go back there.

1 Like

When chopping up fresh root veggies in the autumn (celeriac, beets and parsnips some MVPs here), the literal smell of the veggies is so good it has more than once made me want to do a happy cry.

Yes, I’m vegetarian thanks for asking

5 Likes

we place in dublin (where i met @Kallgeese before a gilla band gig) that me and the ex went to anytime we were in dublin called klaw, they do this prawn/mussel dish with a spicy broth, it’s fucking incredible, makes me very happy indeed.
might actually have a photo somewhere of it :thinking:

4 Likes

Here was another one from this year. Got this beef rib as a leaving present from the butcher at my old work and I think the combination of finally being out of there plus this wondrous meal I made got to me

3 Likes

I am happy just knowing it has happened at all. 'Tis better to have eaten and lost, than to never have eaten at all.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Got an incredible steak sandwich at Knockanstockan festival that cured every self-inflicted ailment I had at the time. I’d originally walked up wanting chicken but as soon as I saw them carving up this beautifully charred hunk of beef I knew it was fate. Some kind of blue cheese mayo and leaves on it too but it was all about that meat

1 Like

The last big stuffed crust takeaway pizza that I had. Not so much when I was eating it, but when I was bent double on the toilet firing bumwee out of one end and throwing up out of the other into a plastic bowl clutched between my knees

4 Likes

Raw onion

A few years ago I got taken to a very fancy restaurant in Cornwall. It wasn’t quite a tasting menu but there were about 6 courses all in, all good to astounding, bar one that came with a beetroot jelly that sadly tasted like water poured out of a leaky welly. The one dish that stood out, the one that literally brought tears to my eyes, was just a fat slice of celeriac that had been roasted in sea salt. It was mindblowing.

2 Likes

had this again today, was nice but not mindblowing

flew too close to the sun, smh

1 Like

I don’t get food tears. however, when I’m receptive enough food can be good enough to make me close my eyes and seize up in pleasure

one that comes to mind is Gravy Train’s vegan poutine, notably ‘The Budapest’

4 Likes