A Thee Oh Sees Appreciation Thread

Went on my own as my friend I was staying with didn’t fancy shelling out the £30, but ended up running into some Belfast folk I know a bit from bands, which was cool. Wanted to tag along for pints next door after but had to find my way back to my friend’s house at a reasonable hour.

Kelley Stoltz LPs were only a tenner at the merch stand, was gonna pick up Que Aura at the end but got distracted and forgot. Him and Flat Worms were v good, the other 2 bands I could take or leave, felt like the running order should be rejigged but I’d guess Hellman would fancy a decent break between sets.

Played 2 of my favourite small venues in Ireland in 2013 apparently, missed both as I only checked them out a few months later (and only got properly into them last year). Don’t think they’ve been back since. Annoying.

Fucking hell, that bloke. Don’t mind crowd surfers normally (comes with the territory doesn’t it) but he was irking. Wish security could’ve got rid of him.

See also: few sweaty blokes taking their top off at the frontt. Hardly a prude, but come on lads, bit grim.

Other than that, top gig last night, glad I found a last minute spare. Not bothered about the latter two supports but everyone else was great. Good venue, first time I’d been.

1 Like

haha yes we saw that guy. We were waiting in the foyer afterwards and he was wandering around looking completely lost; no top on, bare feet - but he had found one of his shoes. No socks though :joy:

Great gig, we were slightly further back on RHS. Enjoyed KS and Flat Worms, Male Gaze were OK but hoped for better after listening to them beforehand. Once and Future Band were pretty ridiculous but fun, psychey prog noodling which I kinda enjoyed watching but doubt I’ll listen to them again!

Picked up a Kelly Stoltz LP and they chucked in a free CD of some reworked Brian Eno album, will give both a listen over the weekend. Really liked him - glad there was a decent crowd for him.

1 Like

Kelley Stoltz was excellent I thought. Hadn’t listened to him much beforehand but it really hit the spot. Very glad I was there at bang on half seven for the start of the set, weren’t messing around on the timing front were they

3 Likes

Weirdly there were 2 interviews with them on the BBC website yesterday but in one of them he said

"We’ve been trying to play the UK more but now I’m getting more hate mail from Scotland and Ireland so I’ve gotta get my ass back over there.

“I don’t wanna piss those guys off – they can drink!”

3 Likes

They were…ok. enjoyable enough. Couldn’t get over the shorts

They’re Californian, I reckon it’s allowed

They were bloody great. Venue was too big, mind

Too big once you take in to account the couple hundred people who probably couldn’t make it.

Really enjoyed K Stoltz, I had a chat with one of his bandmates after and he took me to the merch stand and gave me a free copy of the Brian Eno album, which was nice.

Really enjoyed this episode. Dwyer is a dude.

yeah i listened to a Male Gaze single on Spotify beforehand and thought they sounded pretty good but their set didn’t do much for me. hadn’t realised the singer is the other main Castle Face lad. was trying to work out how much irony was in his Fonzy schtick.

OAFB were a bit more enjoyable live than on record i thought but like @incandenza i was just ready for the main event by that point. the step up in quality when Oh Sees came on was massive

just checking out the London setlist, a few differences but not too disimilar. was v happy with the Manc setlist.

the Contraption jam is a lot of fun but secretly i tend to wish they’d knock 5 minutes off it and squeeze another tune or two in.

1 Like

You make a good point about Contraption and the previous line-up. They are absolutely one of the best bands in the world at the moment, but I really miss the old line-up. It was never as tight as it is now but there was something a bit more magical about it. I suppose part of it was that it felt like it could fall apart at anytime. The gig at the Brudenell for the floating coffin tour is still the best gig I’ve ever been to.

Yeah we got a new song too. Forgot that Dwyer dedicated the Manc set to Mark E Smith right at the start <3

Yeah at one point mid-Male Gaze set the singer pulled a comb out of his pocket and combed his hair a bit, wasn’t sure if it was a joke or not. Someone also told me it wasn’t their usual lineup, instead of bringing the whole band over he just came over himself and recruited a British rhythm section?

1 Like

I never saw them with the old lineup, but I followed Petey Dammit on instagram a while back and he seems like a lovely lad.

1 Like

I thought it was a joke (he combed it twice iirc!). Was kinda like Alex Turners showman shtick, which I quite like.

I also really enjoyed some of the Manc crowd getting riled up about him wearing sunglasses indoors. Couple of guys near us were properly getting worked up over it

1 Like

Pre-EOTR Brighton and Cambridge dates in July

1 Like

It was good, riling material which I enjoyed more than the music itself. Quite good.