A Thee Oh Sees Appreciation Thread

Love this new track. A new Oh Sees album is exactly what I need right now.

Turns out they’re preeeetty good live.

7 Likes

who knew? :smiley:

yep - I was at the Cambridge gig. So hot in there!

Looking forward to hearing it, though slightly disappointed it’s another longer one as I thought Orc dragged occasionally too whereas Mutilator’s 33 minutes are absolutely perfect.

Quite like Overthrown though

largely agree, quite enjoy having it on to vibe out to though

wasn’t it the follow up to Drop…?

you madman. it’s my favourite album by them by a mile. Exits comes close. Entrances does NOT come close.

don’t mind Entrances as an offcuts EP which is essentially what it is but they’ve glorified it a bit by pretending it’s another studio album.

1 Like

oof! i had a slow process getting fully into him tbf, at first i liked him but thought he was awfully T-Rex/glam and nowhere near Oh Sees levels of quality but got way more into him this year, Twins is an absolute Dwyer-worthy monster.

i think it’s a nice enough album but not one i really return to. like the idea of it more than the result. i only tend to go back to the title track and On & On Corridor. don’t really remember anything else on the album tbh.

That performance is great, I’d even say it’s better than the record.

1 Like

Can understand that criticism tbf yeah, just clicked with me eventually. I quite like the latest album but he’s gone a bit too ‘classic rock’ on it for me. Manipulator has a little bit of that too occasionally and is uncharacteristically overlong/overstuffed but some great material sprinkled throughout. the guitars on Twins are proper facemeltingly brilliant though, and if you haven’t heard Melted (you probably have) it’s far more pure garage fuzz without the indulgent soloing. also a big fan of the acoustic album Sleeper.

if you like White Fence their collaborative albums are worth a spin as well

proper love his voice on this song actually

2 Likes

i know this isn’t the Ty thread but just remembered how great this video is

Reckon the production on Ty’s records don’t do the songs justice a lot of the time. Exceptions are Manipulator and Twins, which are the two I’d always suggest as a starting point. Or Slaughterhouse, which is an absolute monster.

1 Like

also both Dwyer and Ty seem really lovely from their (separate) appearances on Marc Maron’s podcast

1 Like

Never really given Mutilator much time. Doesn’t seem to be much being said about Oh Sees albums pre Drop (which I didn’t hugely rate); I absolutely adore Floating Coffin, Warm Slime and Cool Death. What are everyone else’s favourites from their earlier records?

2 Likes

I doubt it counts as early, but Putrifiers II was the one that got me into them…seem to remember thinking floating coffin was a disappointment after that, might have to relisten (remember thinking minotaur was great though, obsessively listened to that track and barely bothered with the rest of the album)

Floating coffin is my favourite oh sees record. They were unreal when touring that one. Lot of love for Warm Slime as well and wish they would play some stuff from it again. Carrion Crawler/The Dream is the one that got me into them so that’s always up there too.

Been a bit meh with them recently despite being nigh on obsessed with them for a long time. Not sure the new one will change that from what I’ve heard.

Bit of a cheat answer but I really like the first singles compilation, released in 2011. Has a real real proto garage surf thing going on. Don’t know what period of time the singles were recorded over but it works really well together as a whole. Think they still play one or two songs off it too.