A Thee Oh Sees Appreciation Thread

Yeah that’s probably the one that got me into them too. So, so good.

I then got Masters Bedroom which I was really obsessed with for a while.

Sadly never saw them live in that incarnation though :frowning:

Mutilator was the first one I got and it’s fucking brilliant (esp Poor Queen and Sticky Hulks RIGHT?) but I hoovered up all the rest and I bloody love floating coffin, carrion crawler and putrifiers of the older stuff, and obviously Exits/entrances. Cant quite get on with Help or Masters Bedroom. Thought Orc was disappointing but when they play the songs live… oooft. they’ve certainly played Tidal Wave off the singles collection the last couple of times I’ve seen them. Roll on September!

I want a Smote Reverser t shirt.

Probs my fav song of theirs

Floating Coffin is of course great. was actually the first one i heard as a friend recommended them to me around this time (annoyingly i missed them playing a couple of tiny Irish dates around this time and they haven’t come back here since). enjoyed it, though mainly just listened to I Come From the Mountain on repeat until the album disappeared from Spotify and none of the newer ones appeared

when all the newer stuff appeared on Spotify early last yeah i checked out Mutilator first and it absolutely blew me away and has remained my favourite ever since. can’t believe you haven’t given it much time… (in terms of Drop there are 2 or 3 great songs but the rest is less exciting)

Carrion Crawler is also pretty wonderful, wish i discovered that a bit sooner as that was on Spotify the whole time. the other earlier albums i tend to find each have a couple of great standouts but are less exciting to me as a whole.

First saw Dwyer as coachwhips at the Fenton in Leeds (small upstairs in a pub), still one of my favourite ever gigs. If anyone hasn’t heard coachwhips’ bangers vs fuckers you should do so, it’s great (as are the others but that’s the best).

I’d have to put a bit more thought into ranking all the albums, but top three would be:

1. Carrion caller
  2. Weird exits
  3. A master’s bedroom …

Haven’t seen them live for ages (probably last when they headlined the garden at eotr) looking forward to seeing them at the same this year.

1 Like

Two of my favourite venues in Ireland, bit gutted I didn’t know about them yet. The Belfast one was part of an arts festival I go to every year without fail as well. My friend assures me it was brilliant.

Someone posted an interview on here where Dwyer said he’s always getting angry messages for not playing Ireland or Scotland so hopefully he’ll come back soon. Did get to see them in Manchester this year at least.

yeah Manchester Castlemania. was good to see Flat Worms and Kelley Stoltz too.

yeah Whelans is an absolutely great little venue, been to quite a few great gigs in there. setlist looks wonderful too (even though i’m largely more into the slightly later stuff than the earlier)

I really like Drop, but probably cos that’s the first of theirs I got in to. Quite an enviable position 'cos if it is shit then everything else is going to shine by comparison.

first 2 songs are excellent but tails off a lot then i think. not a bad album but definitely doesn’t have the same energy or excitement as the best ones

Suppose Putrifiers and Floating Coffin count as a sort of mid period following on from the more expansive direction that Carrion Crawler took? Both are excellent either way, I guess I just return to FC more often because of tracks like Minotaur and I Came From The Mountain. Very much enjoy some of the more orchestral arrangements on Putrifiers but it doesn’t quite have the same amount of standout moments for me.

Yeah that run of albums after Help are unbelievable! Dead jealous that you got to see them on that tour. Only seeing them for the first time nett month and hoping for a track or two off Coffin.

2 songs i really like on Putrifiers (Lupine Dominus and Hang a Picture) but i don’t remember any of the rest. probably due a revisit. it’s one that i checked out while most of their stuff was missing from Spotify and it didn’t grab me the way some of the others have since

they did 2 in March anyway, you should get lucky unless they’ve dropped some stuff to make way for Smote songs

1 Like

They’re definitely one of those bands where once you get hooked on a song, you could honestly have it on repeat to infinitum. Dunno how anyone could pick a single favourite track!

Sucks that they’ve avoided playing shows over there though man!

Yeah had it on this morning after getting @mrmrongov’s response! It’s much mellower than I remembered but yeah tracks like Hang a Picture are banging! Saw on Wikipedia that Mikal Cronin did the sax work too

1 Like

Oooo SWEET! Which tracks did they play bud?

I Come From the Mountain and Toe Cutter/Thumb Buster. Mountain was shortened a bit without so many repeated sections, was quite good and punchy and should mean it’s easier for them to keep squeezing it into the set.

(that said, as much fun as the long closing jams are i wouldn’t mind them shortening them a little bit and squeezing another song or two in first)

1 Like

Can’t see them ever cutting Toe Cutter/Thumb Buster. It never fails to get a huuuugggeee reaction when he first starts playing that riff.

Wax Face is absolutely glorious! A total beaut of an album opener.

Seeing them in Bristol with @colossalhorse! Totally psyched. Can’t wait to see Flat Worms also.

1 Like

You doing Bristol?