A Thee Oh Sees Appreciation Thread

Went last night, enjoyed Frankie and the lads very much but my god does our man clearly really want to be big J Dwyer :sweat_smile:

1 Like

never listened to Frankie ATWFs. Can’t jive on the name. People keep saying they’re good.

1 Like

Didn’t know them beforehand and listened to a few tracks today and would definitely say they’re a lot better live

I heard ZAM playing in HMV a couple of years ago and thought “what Oh Sees album is this and how’ve I never heard it before?”

V good album

Haven’t got into the other albums to the same extent but the debut is pretty good garage rock too

1 Like

unsure i need another oh sees, when there’s already too much oh sees

1 Like

ZAM is a good one for sure, even if very Oh Sees-like. I recall having this on once and my girlfriend asking which Oh Sees it was. Think they were a little less obvious Oh Sees before that one?

1 Like

Yeah the other albums I’ve heard aren’t as heavily Oh Sees indebted, particularly the earlier ones

Someone filmed one of the new songs in Dublin last month

V good gig

Never knew they filmed the Live at San Francisco performance

The start of the first few songs puts a big stupid grin on my face every single time. What a fucking band

3 Likes
2 Likes

Was about to say “no more singles, it’s out tomorrow ffs!” before noticing it said Full Album. Weird the album isn’t even on the Castle Face site anymore. Pre-order has been sold out on there for a bit, but it’s odd that the page isn’t even there. No vinyl on the Bandcamp page either.

Anyway think I’ll wait till it’s on Spotify for better quality. Sometimes I like to just wait till release day anyway for some reason.

Nice

1 Like

Album’s alright. I’m up for some weird Dwyer noise punk but the vocals sound nothing like him

1 Like

I’m going to Brooklyn in September and they’re playing while I’m there. Not sure why I’ve been putting it off because I’ve always wanted to see them but never have… finally got a ticket.

Had a first listen this morning, not fully attentive but have to agree with the vocals not really sounding enough like Dwyer to really get me going. Album’s short so I’ll definitely be replaying it a few times in the next few days, but won’t disagree that it could have been one of those unofficial-official albums. Probably won’t be seeking out the vinyl. Ok about to jump into a second listen now.

“Funeral Solution” is a good ripper, like the riffy breakdown, whatever you’d call that.
“Frock Block” is fine, doesn’t really go anywhere. I like the fuzzy radio static segue between the songs.
“Too Late for Suicide” is off to a good start, not as immediately intense and a bit of room to breathe. Vocals are more recognizable as Dwyer. Appreciate the weirdness and pacing in this one, even fades out nicely and makes for a complete track.
“A Foul Form” brings back that anarcho sound and isn’t bad but doesn’t really do anything interesting. Still I like the guitars (when they’re chugging, not as much when screechy).
“A Burden Snared” has a nice slower intro as well, nice that they are varying it up a bit more than I had originally thought. Basically this is an interlude then isn’t it? Nothing wrong with that, appreciate change-up and weirdness.
“Scum Show” starts with some nice distortion and then sounds like the other anarcho stuff, chorus is actually kinda nice here I think. Appreciate the distortion here and there.
“Fucking Kill Me” sounds funky at the start, think this one stood out to me on my first listen this morning. Maybe less so now actually, but it’s not bad. Those funky guitars being brought back in are nice, maybe that’s what stood out. A fun element that is very Osees. Also like the song title.
“Perm Act” cool intro, then the drums go wild and the guitars come in for something definitely Osees-sounding. Good pacing here. Vocals are a bit more Dwyer-like but also not that appealing? Strange. Good guitar “chorus” though. Yeah the vocals, not sure here. Cool finish.
“Social Butt” huh-huh, huh-huh, you said butt. Don’t have too much to say about this one, has a slightly different feel from others but nothing special. Appreciate the slow-down around the 2 minute mark, was wondering if this would end up sounding too repetitive with the 3:20 runtime (second longest song). Yeah the slowdown works to finish out the track.
“Sacrifice” good start with guitars and vocals. Oh right, the Rudimentary Peni cover. Honestly don’t know their stuff that well, have only listened a bit, so I wouldn’t have recognized it as a cover. Well that was quick, of course. Good track and good finish.

Overall it’s more varied than I initially thought and will likely grow on me, though it still feels a bit novel considering what they’re capable of. Gonna put on Metamorphosed now. Have tickets to their show next month, should be interesting with this and psych and older garage stuff mixed together. Probably intense. Automatic opens and I’m just as excited about that.

2 Likes

A fun little 20 minute blast of punk and a nice reprieve from the spacey prog, but not one of their more essential albums. A bit samey at times, and a couple of tracks sound quite similar to tracks from Protean Threat at first I think.

Saw them do Funeral Solution and A Foul Form live a couple of months ago and they were fun little noisy additions to the set.

Quite funny to compare it to Face Stabber only a couple of years ago. It’s an hour shorter!

1 Like

Exactly. Can easily dismiss it and there’ll be another one on soon enough anyway.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

Yeah exactly

Does have their best artwork in a while though

It’s so good. Thinking of buying it just to frame it tbh.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like