A Thread About Lighthouses

For @rich-t

This is my favourite local lighthouse at Nash Point - you actually get a cool three-for-one offer here because you have the big lighthouse in this picture, the fog signal in the middle, and this photo is taken from another older lighthouse at the same location. It’s one of the most otherworldly places I’ve ever been to for some reason, just has a real sense of the odd about it.

1 Like

Gonna go here at some point

Apparently it’s the lighthouse the Lighthouse Family named themselves after

3 Likes

Best one

Been there loads of times. Did not know that about the Lighthouse Family. I will be armed with this nugget next time we drag the kids there for some fresh air.

1 Like
1 Like

Watched the sun set from the Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi on Kefalonia a couple of weeks ago while on holiday - was nice…

4 Likes

British Lighthouses for British Workers only please.

Thanks bbz

This was my closest one growing up

http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk/a_heritage/lighthouses/LG2_EW/Nab_Tower.htm

Love those mad French bastards off Brittany and the Atlantic coast

1 Like

Here’s one of our youngest on St Mary’s

1 Like

St Mary’s is sound. Get lots of seals lounging around on the rocks.

Also I once had to wade back to shore via chest-high water after foolishly not checking the tides on St Mary’s.

It was built while Kefalonia was under British rule as part of The Ionian Republic tbf…

2 Likes

Helped run a town planning conference a few weekends ago, one of the study tours was of coastal regeneration sites around that part of the world, so they went to Smith’s Dock, the reopened Spanish City. a couple of other places, and ended up at St Mary’s. I’m sure it was lovely but also it was about 4pm on 1st November, and it was not a particularly nice day :smiley:

Ah ok. As you were.

Most iconic British lighthouse (apart from the family)?

The Needles for me

As posted elsewhere yesterday:

1 Like

went to Skye & Harris earlier this summer and saw this beauty

4 Likes

I walk to this lighthouse on Turnberry golf course a lot. It’s supposedly where Robert the Bruce was born but I don’t know if that’s just Trumps fake facts. They’ve turned it into a fancy 9th hole bar/coffee shop - it’s too expensive to buy anything but the toilets are nice :smiley:.

1 Like

my wife’s family used to live in a lighthouse. her cousin was home schooled.

they are now working in separate fire towers.

1 Like