A thread about the new Julie Byrne album

Definitely an AOTY contender for me too! I pretty much put it on every other day and let these calming and delicate arrangements wash all over me. Its utterly devine and like @funkycow said, completely timeless.

1 Like

I bought my mum the Broken Twin album for Christmas in 2014, she still plays it! It’s a wonderful record

2 Likes

Hadn’t listened to her before, but went on a whim to see her last night. Beautiful, intimate concert (was only 25 people there). Consider me a convert. She’s like a modern day Joni :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I think she’s the warmest human being I’ve ever met too, told her I loved the album and she just wrapped me in the biggest hug crys

2 Likes

Johanna Warren who did backing vocals on Not Even Happiness released Chaotic Good last month which is absolutely incredible. Easily one of my faves this year and think it got missed.

Starts out in a similar vein to Julie Byrne but just builds and explodes in to something amazing. Really deserves to be heard by more people

5 Likes

We’ve got a nice track-by-track up. Such a beautiful record!

4 Likes

Absolutely criminal to revive this thread without there being news of a new Byrne album imho

3 Likes

I’ve just read that Julie’s collaborator, Eric Littmann, passed away earlier this year. He was only 31. The production on not even happiness is beautiful. He used to tour with her too and you could see that they had such a strong bond on stage.

So sad. RIP.

2 Likes

That’s very sad news. Saw her play at Hoxton Hall shortly after the album release with a talented multi instrumentalist chap, if that was him? No age at all. RIP.

That sounds like it would have been him. He released some of his own material under Steve Sobs and Phantom Posse too. Forever underground from last year is a pretty nice record.

Not Even Happiness is one I keep going back and back to. Great record. Definitely one of the standout folk albums of recent years. Absolutely faultless. Iconic voice, great guitarist, and a proper, proper storyteller.

I saw her live at the Brudenell. Jim Ghedi supported, think they were on Basin Rock together. He was good, sort of celtic instrumental stuff if memory serves, but she was extraordinary. Walked through the venue with her suitcase, watched the support, sold her own merch, knocked out a faultless hour including most of the record and stayed around signing stuff and talking to people. Only slight downer was there was a much louder gig on in the main room, forget who, but it did impact on the sound.

4 Likes

Nowhere near me but wonderful that shes back. She mentioned working on an album a couple of years ago so possibly some new songs incoming soon

3 Likes

Man, St Bartholomew’s is a rubbish venue. Nice to see her around again though.

Shame. Can imagine a (different) church being a pretty perfect setting

St George’s, lovely. Only been to St Bartholomew’s once mind, could be better now…

Hope she is back with music. Not even happinesses is perfect.

3 Likes

Oooo Hebden Bridge is an unexpected treat

1 Like

Saw her play Todmorden on her last tour and it was magical.

2 Likes

Just remembered Eric Littman was playing with her then too :cry:

1 Like

New album July of this year

5 Likes