🤔 A Thread for my Thoughts

These will be stream of consciousness probably and feel free to either answer or ignore as you see fit. I want to document when I’m being a deep thinker.

2 Likes

Why is it assumed to be a good thing for characters in fiction to have depth? Is depth of a character really necessary if it doesn’t serve a narrative? Often “villains” can be said to be more interesting or sympathetic if they have more depth or are shown to act in contrasting ways. Isn’t this just a basic fact of all people though? Even serial killers & worse probably have nice thoughts and actions sometimes. This shouldn’t really be a revelation.

2 Likes

Are all songs really just part of one long musical performance that you hear throughout your life? That is the context and timing of everything you hear and when you hear it are interrelated and the ambient sounds of your life can and will affect your interpretation of music and what you desire to hear?

4 Likes

When you hear a name for something or someone in a different language and you think “oh that’s weird that’s like if in English they were called fried egg”, no it isn’t. The length and flow of words also signify meaning and grant sense rather than awkwardness. This can’t be translated

when you think that you wish you were someone else do you imagine also having their voice? I don’t. Speaking and having somebody else’s voice sounds to me like the most terrifying and dehumanising thing. Funny to think how many things our sense of self relies on

If you play a rhythm fast enough it will become harmonic/a note. Likewise a note played slow enough has rhythm. Notes are just incredibly fast beats. Again very beautiful to think about music as interrelationships just as we all are

2 Likes

Can we get rid of money without getting rid of justice? Can communism only truly exist in a post-justice society?

1 Like

Is it better to try something new or go for an old favourite?

I don’t think you can enjoy as much melancholy from new things. Old things are like a katamari that gets bigger each time. In that way maybe it’s more true that you can you appreciate the whole of something only the first time and afterwards it’s too big

1 Like

if you have a recurring dream, how do you know the dream was recurring and the sense of recurrence wasn’t part of the dream and you only had it once?

(I realise you can write down and document these things but I imagine most people don’t do this so many times you might have only had a recurring dream once)

2 Likes

Why the decimal system? Is this purely cultural or is it really because most of us have 10 digits that we understand this logic.

Maybe not everybody should want to make something of their life. We should appreciate people who enjoy doing nothing and have no large aspirations, it’s a perfectly valid way to live. I get that if you have put a lot of time into doing something it feels painful to say that the time would have been just as well spent sitting down staring out of a window but it’s probably something we could all stand to remind ourselves of. No reason why making lovely music is special or being rich or strong is etc.

2 Likes

^ not everything profound has to be profound btw. You can think deeply and come up with nothing that is fine too

Why is it assumed to be a good thing for characters in fiction to have depth? Is depth of a character really necessary if it doesn’t serve a narrative?

Just shows that the writers bothered their arses

Are all songs really just part of one long musical performance that you hear throughout your life?

No

when you think that you wish you were someone else do you imagine also having their voice?

Never wish I was someone else, just wish I wasn’t so startlingly shit

Notes are just incredibly fast beats.

Sure

Can we get rid of money without getting rid of justice? Can communism only truly exist in a post-justice society?

No. Probably.

Is it better to try something new or go for an old favourite?

Depends on context. Food? An old favourite. Shagging? Something new.

if you have a recurring dream, how do you know the dream was recurring and the sense of recurrence wasn’t part of the dream and you only had it once?

You just do

Why the decimal system?

Why not

Thanks Bam for this opportunity to air my views

1 Like

thanks for responding!

I’d say making lovely music is ‘making something of yourself’.

Personally I have no real ambitions. I’ve got a pretty shite job but it allows me to live and eat and travel and buy some stupid shit I don’t need, and that’s about enough for me. I’d like to other things like write a book or whatevs, but I’ve not got the drive. So I’ll just ‘be’. And you’re right, not everyone should aspire to be something ‘great’. I used to kick myself all the time for being a failure, but I’ve started to accept my lot and I feel a lot happier for it. A few more years of acceptance and peace with myself and who knows, maybe I’ll have chilled out enough that I’ll build some ambition without even noticing it.

1 Like
1 Like

even outside of an individual perspective, not sure society really needs everybody to be doing something crazy innovative, in fact it’s probably a bad idea for too many people to feel the need to innovate in whatever way. It’s a shame that we view people who create new things as somehow cleverer or greater than people who don’t. Again goes back to my idea of everything being attributed to anonymous people after death in an ideal world

I think the fact that the media and companies are so geared towards everything being ‘aspirational’ is a huge problem. Deffo contributes to mental health problems.

it’s nice when you come to a known theory without having heard of it before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything contains nothing?