šŸ¤” A Thread for my Thoughts

I like that someone invented the term flaneurism so i can pretend to myself that my favourite hobby of loafing around town looking at stuff is a worthwhile and valuable activity

1 Like

was that based on the size of cylinder they could construct to shape the vinyl (assume vinyl is made by pouring melty goop into a metal container but actually have no idea) or is there a reason that they couldnā€™t spin if they were larger?

if youā€™re existing in a public space then you are contributing to other peopleā€™s lives. People might see you and think briefly ā€œah thereā€™s a nice looking man over there just chilling outā€ and feel happier

like in my mind vinyl is made in a really long tube and they just cut off the individual discs like slicing cheese

1 Like

Sound cannot exist in a vaccuum so what you are actually hearing is a shape being cut through the atmosphere? If our eyes had enough clarity/resolution would we be able to see sounds?

that was a great read!

1 Like

Some can see sounds and hear colours - itā€™s called synesthesia:

Dammit @anon50098204 beat me to it!

1 Like

sounds(looks :wink: ) amazing!

Instinctively true, objectively wrong.

1 Like

best researched/explained hypothesis is exactly that. It makes inate sense to us as humans because we have 10 digits. Abstractly and practically speaking, a duodecimal system makes way more sense. There was quite a big campaign in the mid 20th century to promote its widespread use

1 Like

very interesting! We developed time in a system of 12 and also baking. Two very important things time and bread.

1 Like

also 12 bar blues which you should appreciate smee

1 Like

(not cos you have the blues but because you like old time good music)

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of guess-remembering here, and canā€™t be arsed to google it or even think it through properly, but I think I heard somewhere that our system of time, though obviously based on astronomical realities outside of our control, is divided up in the way it is because the length of a second is somehow deeply imbibed within our speciesā€™ experience of time. And the length of a second therefore informs the amount of seconds in a minute, hour, day, month and year. So If thatā€™s all true then we actually got lucky with the duodecimalisation of time.

Yes Iā€™m avoiding some very important work today.

OMG bamnanana there are 12 notes :open_mouth:

1 Like

maybe itā€™s tied in with how long it takes synapses to travel or something, like a second is comfortable because it fits a certain number of thoughts into it. Or maybe itā€™s to do with the rhythm of our breathing? Interesting to speculate!

yeah or heart rates? making up science is cool.

1 Like

I think the bride is playing with fire with those two choices thus far.

no idea what this post is but sounds dodge

1 Like