A Thread For Posting Nice Book Covers In

ITT you can post pictures of nice/cool/good book covers. Feel free to say something about the book itself as well if you want, but it’s not required, as will be made clear by my first entry.

3 Likes

I bought this book recently in a Swedish airport bookshop because it has a big golden uterus on it and mentions Oslo, my hometown.

12 Likes

Oh I can definitely get involved in this thread. Would be great to credit the designers too when they’re known (so we can check out more of their work)

Off the top of my head, really like this recent penguin series of European writers designed by Chris Bentham

And this John Le Carre set by the always amazing David Pearson:

15 Likes

Love Coralie Bickford-Smith’s covers for Penguin classics. She’s mates with my mum :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Got this recently. Artwork by Sean O’Connell.

16 Likes

Yeah her covers are wonderful, her own books are unbelievably beautiful.

1 Like

(sorry WR I will contribute to this thread with a non joke answer later)

15 Likes

A novel about a man lying down with a bird on his head (illustration: Brian Cronin)

Memoir. Amy Liptrot returns to live in Orkney (where she grew up) to try and deal with alcoholism. Gets a job monitoring corncrake population. Has a knack for nature writing. Spent as much time looking at the cover as reading it. Illustrator: @kaiandsunny

Magnus Mills, as featured in the writers thread. About a man living in a house made of tin in the middle of nowhere. Illustrator: who knows (doesn’t seem to say anywhere)

Not sure if I love or loathe this one. Excellent short stories. Illustrator: Sally Ducksbury

10 Likes

Oh, and this is a banger. Design: Antonix

13 Likes

The current covers of the Pantheon Fairytale and Folklore Lobrary books are some of my favourites. Not yet been lucky enough to get one of them as I’ve been buying used editions and ended up with inferior covers, with the exception of my lovely battered first edition of the Japanese one.

Full set are here, and I encourage looking as the picture above misses some of the best (but it was the best multi-cover image I could find):

9 Likes

Wait…what?! Where is this from? Is it an actual book?

In the first line of Trout Fishing in America, Richard Brautigan says he always wanted to end a book with the word mayonnaise

So of course all the back covers are like this

10 Likes

This is one of my favourites (that I own)

7 Likes

Given that I am prone to buying books on covers alone (and, in addition to that, I’m also prone to buying books even when I have an extensive “to read” list), this thread could be very, very dangerous for me

4 Likes

I love these Kobo Abe editions

16 Likes

:wave: :wave: :pound: :pound: :books: :books:

1 Like

18 Likes

Oh man these are looovely

1 Like

They were designed by Vaughan Oliver weren’t they?

No idea. I just googled Garth Marenghi book!

1 Like