A Thread For Posting Nice Book Covers In

woof

9 Likes

Some more nice looking feminist classics

Those last two are part of a series or 4 or 5, but the others were simply shorter excerpts of longer texts so didn’t fancy them. Didn’t originally like the design when I saw them individually, but pretty nice together imo.

8 Likes

New David Tibet compiled collection of horror /weird f fiction on SA :heart_eyes:

Plus A College Mystery by AP Baker

12 Likes

Looking forward to going in a bookshop and sniffing all the books when it’s safe to do so again.

6 Likes

12 Likes

A horrible picture, but Penguin Classics are SO satisfying.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

I’ve been a bit (a lot) obsessed with this cover design ever since I first saw it. For whatever reason it seems that Penguin only used it on about twenty books, then quietly dropped it again.

Haven’t been able to find any explanation why (quite often major Penguin cover designs get covered by a few bloggers), so can only guess it was more expensive** than the more bog-standard Classics template they’ve reverted to instead.

Anyway, long story short, over the last couple of years I’ve been trying to pick up the full set of books that used this design, which has been a slow but satisfying quest - see below. All those bold colours look lovely on a shelf too.

** Insert innuendo here about French flaps.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Got these two today

9 Likes

Some favourites

8 Likes

Two of my all time favourite books in that selection!

1 Like

What is this? Rare to see a book with absolutely no wording on the cover!

Rather taken with this. Found it in Hay-on-Wye this week; the moons are printed in some sort of iridescent ink and the edges of the pages have been sprayed antique gold. Even has a little blurb by Nick Cave on the back. Tidy.

5 Likes

I quite enjoyed that book, and an earlier book of his called I, Lucifer.
There’s a band called The Real Tuesday Weld, who have done albums based on both of those books (as I think the singer and the author used to be flatmates/are friends), in case you wanted to listen to that at the same time. One of my favourite bands and albums, so I definitely recommend!

1 Like

It’s this Ithell Colquhoun | Strange Attractor

The back is also just a painting of hers.

1 Like

Ooh, I do like Strange Attractor’s books. I have both of Stephen Thrower’s massive Jess Franco biography/guides.

1 Like

I’ve been in Hay-On-Wye this week as well! No great haul for me, got a replacement paperback of Robertson Davies’ Deptford Trilogy, and this, which looks very interesting

41E7R36T89L.SX314_BO1,204,203,200

This book attempts to go beyond the tourist cliché of Prague as the ‘golden city’ to bring out all the mystery, ambiguity, gloom, lethargy and hidden fascination of the city on the Vltava. Ripellino slips into the style of melodrama and ghost stories as he writes of the time of Rudolf II, the alchemists, the Jewish Quarter, the Golem, the pubs, the funereal malevolence of its architecture, of Holan and Kafka, of Meyrink and the Czech Dadaists. With this dense cast of characters Ripellino brings out the sorcery of the Bohemian capital in a compelling mix of fact and fiction. This vast fresco of Prague life provides much more than a literary and cultural history of the city; it is both a celebration and a requiem.
‘The city of the Vltava, capital of old Bohemia, is as much a state of mind as a physical location. It was the centre of magic in the Renaissance, the very alembic of Europe, and still retains its reputation for mystery and rank intrigue . . . This is a haunting, clotted, mad masterpiece. It is not an easy read, but it is a rewarding one. As I close the book, the magic city sinks back into its ancient dreaming, and I recall a beautiful line from a poem by Jarolsav Seifert, quoted by Ripellino: “The shadow enters darkness and man enters earth.” ’ John Banville, Observer

three quid in Richard Booth’s - if it’s only half as good as that blurb I’ll have had my money’s worth

bump

Edit: fuck sake

3 Likes

I took this out from the library without having seen the movie and read it in two days. Loved it. Absolute head trip.

11 Likes