A Thread of Trains

I had no idea about this at all. Guess it explains why they fly/drive everywhere then

It’s more that after Finsbury Park, there’s only one line in and one line out so if something goes wrong somewhere, the whole things fucked! No trains can go anywhere.

(this is my trainline)

1 Like

They’re not particularly quick, either. I’ve done a bunch:

Chicago to California was over two days
New York to Chicago and New York to New Orleans were both like 28-30hrs
San Fran to Seattle was maybe a bit less than a day

All before you factor in delays. Like obviously you’re still covering a lot of ground in nog that many actual hours, but if you’ve only got a week off work then I can totally see why a 2hr flight is preferable.

Like obviously an amazing way to see the country - a lot of the routes go through proper wilderness, whereas freeways are often flanked by development. But not a quick or particularly cheap way to get around - lots of retirees and students basically.

1 Like

Gonna be fun when Field Day pitches up in a few weeks.

1 Like

Best:

Catania to Genoa. Also the worst I think. Amazing 15 hour journey all the way up the west coast of Italy, past stunning scenery, towns, history etc. Me and my mate obviously decided that the extra €5 or whatever for a seat was too much and spent the first 13 hours sat on the floor in the vestibule. Met some locals who started smoking joints about half an hour in so it wasn’t all bad.

Honourable mention to the journey from Totnes to anywhere or vice versa, through Dawlish and Teignmouth right along the coast. Have been on the train with waves breaking over it several times. Amazing.

1 Like

Fuck, that’s incredible!

That makes sense. It’s my occasional line - more often use the Enfield Town overground which has its own issues

Is this the one where the train goes on a boat?

1 Like

My favourite actual locomotive is a British Rail Class 45 as it reminds me of holidays in Grange-over-Sands as a kid where these absolute units would rattle alongside the promenade every now and again.

(Sorry / not sorry for getting a bit train-spotty here)

GBOC45

6 Likes

It is!

I need to go on that train :smiley:

1 Like

I vaguely remember this from my childhood. Did it go across the Kent estuary at Arnside?

PS trainspotter bonus for 10 points - what’s the difference between a 45 and 46?

1 Like

Book a seat!

It did, yeah! You could see it curving round the coast from miles away. Wouldn’t be able to go into detail re: 45 vs 46 - enlighten me!

1 Like

I have no idea either, but when I flirted with trainspotting as a child (it was a bit like being radicalised), that was a hot topic for debate amongst the more committed kids. Something to do with lumps over the cab I think.

I love that part of the country though. I remember there were loads of footpath signs everywhere and we used to just walk all day and try not to break our legs on limestone pavements.

1 Like

Yes, that stretch past Dawlish that skirts the coast is 19th century (?) engineering at its finest. (Brunel, I think?) Gorgeous. Also the stretch to Edinburgh north of Newcastle - love the sight of Berwick from where the train stops.

Have got the Dresden to Prague stretch that @TheBarbieMovie2023 mentioned upthread earmarked for our Interrail adventure this summer :slight_smile: (cheers @rich-t for the tip!)

Worst train is probably the 1739 Cambridge to King’s Lynn (1644 from Kings Cross to be precise). Four coaches of compressed human misery. Apparently it’s going to be extended to eight coaches in the autumn of 2020, a good 13 years after I started making the journey.

2 Likes

Also I’m a massive fan of a steam railway - particularly fond of the Swanage to Corfe Castle line. I do have some really Brexit-friendly interests.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the thread of stations, as I have some VERY STRONG OPINIONS on London terminus stations.

Spoiler alert: Euston is literally the worst place in the whole world.

1 Like

Make it

2 hours and 15 minutes till I get there!

I’m so sorry for that :sob: :pray:

I might make it tomorrow (need to finish some articles now!)