A thread to discuss masculinity

My current work environment is generally pretty good at good at this from what I’ve seen as in the code of conduct clearly spells out how seriously the company takes sexual harassment.

Other places I’ve worked in weren’t so great. Still remember someone wearing an I (recycle symbol) girls t-shirt to work :expressionless:

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

I think I agree with your point about ambiguity with regards to masculinity, although I started the discussion upthread about “positive masculinity”, I actually don’t think it’s a good thing to put too much energy into defining it. It’s perhaps more important to encourage men to build an identity that doesn’t rely on gender (I’m basically rehashing an earlier point by, here).

1 Like

I was speaking to my partner last night about her experiences when “going out” during evenings/night time. I realised I was totally naive to think she had a general dislike of nightlife and naturally preferred to stay in…because she was clear that the whole idea of dancing/generally having fun was very appealing…if she wasn’t constantly exposed to sexualised behaviour when out. It was pretty sad, in all honesty.

2 Likes

Not sure what masculinity means, tbh. Such fluid, meaningless term that means a million different things to million different people. What does femininity mean? Don’t feel ashamed just for being a ‘man’ or ‘masculine’ either, which seems to be the direction of the thread tbh.

1 Like

Possibly, but I suspect that attitude would get stamped on pretty quickly these days

Like Sheeldz, the concept of masculinity made me feel like shit growing up. I’ve never felt ‘manly’ in any sense, and that was quite confusing when I was younger. Generally I’m much more ‘feminine’, if we’re going to label things traditionally. Useless at DIY, rubbish at sports, no deep voice. Still, at least I’ve never felt the need to use my advantages in size and strength to intimidate anyone, or worse.

These days I’m much more comfortable with it. It seems quite clear that we’re heading towards a big change in the way gender and gender roles are percieved, and that can only be a good thing in my eyes. The less kids feel pressure to be/act/look a certain way, the better. Bring it on.

A big part of why I’ve never felt masculine is that I have gynecomastia. I’m a big chap anyway, but even when I’ve got slim(ish) my moobs have jutted out way further than my belly, and it’s something that has always hugely affected my confidence and self-esteem. Having something so visibly ‘female’ on my body has at times felt incredibly humiliating, emasculating and shameful. I’ve never thought these things because it’s a feminine quality, but more because of how society (bloody society, grr) treats men with this condition (and indeed all physical imperfections). I’m hoping that as time goes by and things change, I’ll start to have more of a ‘who gives a fuck’ attitude towards it, but I’m not there yet.

Societal pressures, the media, school bullying, etc etc has massively shaped my personality, my mental health, my sexuality. In general, I think I’m a pretty open-minded, liberal and logical chap, and I know that stuff like this doesn’t really matter- at least not to people worth giving a damn about. So why does it rule huge sections of my life? Why does it make me depressed, why do I spend hours fretting about it, and why does it stop me being social? Here’s hoping at some point I can fully make that connection and feel comfortable ‘doing me’.

Edit: not all of that is relevant to this discussion, but I think I needed it.

7 Likes

This phase I think is key to a lot of what people have said above. Just because something is masculine, doesn’t make it inherently good or bad, and the same goes for feminine things. The issue comes when society takes those categories and ascribes them to be desirable and things for men/women to aspire to. And that goes for both genetic characteristics (deep voice springs to mind) which we can do sod all about anyway and gendered roles, be it that the masculine role is the “provider” down to the frankly silly idea that @wonton alluded to above that the idea of becoming a male nurse is a bit weird.

Of course, society is getting better at some of this and it’s better in the West than much of the East, but there’s a lot of ingrained stuff around this for society to deal with still.

Then I’m glad you felt you could get it all out here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a side note, I’m also quite glad that the DiSism MTFU seems to have died a death. There’s nothing wrong with being unsure/nervous about things, and as far as I can tell there’s nothing masculine as far as I can tell about just getting it done regardless.

2 Likes

god did we really use to say stuff like MTFU?! I bet we did :frowning:

the MTFU era was definitely when dis first started to go down hill, it seemed quite a nice place before that, but that is when the laddishness started to creep in, people thought it was hilarious, could just not be remembering bad things before that though

I think I am quite similar to this, when I was a kid I was very ‘soft’ I didn’t like male things, sports, cars, macho and boisterous behaviour made me recoil, instead I was just obsessed with animals, collected soft toys into my teens, played with the action figures of women characters (she-ra and teela) because they were similar to dolls (really liked the troll doll craze because these seemed to be socially acceptable for everyone).

I never felt uncomfortable in a male body or anything like that, but often thought that I would have found it easier to express my personality if I wasn’t a boy, as it was being a ‘sensitive’ male was just totally unacceptable, so pretty much just had develop an aloof exterior of feigned indifference to everything. also, pre-beard, used to get mistaken for a women all the time, probably due to my high voice and the brian molko bob I rocked for way too long, it didn’t bother me too much but it would be awkward and embarrassing if it happened in a shop or something. On the other hand there are some ways I am more typically male, terrible communication skills, extremely low emotional intelligence, and a really massive pig headed stubborn streak that I really dislike.

4 Likes

Yeah also struggled w this, used to cry all the time in school :frowning: which obviously didn’t go down well, stuff like that
Still have difficulty feeling comfortable around most other men, makes me sad that me and my dad have so much in common but there’s still a layer of awkwardness between us.

Think one thing us men can do better is be more persuasive in arguing for feminism as a solution for the stuff that men do struggle with, to counter all the MRA shite that’s everywhere

5 Likes

While #metoo was something people are doing, I don’t know how appropriate that would be, but I definitely agree with the sentiment of it. I definitely have at some point - I know for a fact that I had whole issues around being possessive about women, and that I felt like I was owed something when feeling something for them - that’s obviously wrong, and I spent a whole bunch of time working that shit out through counselling and a whole lot of introspection…

I like to think I’m a bit better with that now; I am at least more aware of my own feelings, and feel better-placed to deal with them, but yeah. The idea of #ihave is something that happens, or at the very least that #metoo does make men consider what we can do to improve ourselves.

Really don’t want this thread to become exclusive, like you’re implying here. I think discussions about masculinity, which you touch upon as well, should be how it should be more of a “broad church”, accepting of a wider range of people.

1 Like

This reminds me - was out running at one point about 8 or 9 years ago. Was wolf whistled at by one of a group of guys - I assume because of shoulder length hair, slim build and running tights. Got an apology about 5 seconds later “Sorry mate”, which can only be because I’m not a woman. Really should have stopped and told him he didn’t need to apologise because I was a guy, but just stop behaving like a sexist pig. Instead I ignored him and carried on, and shamefully I suspect I still would today :frowning:

1 Like

It is one of the things that really dismays me about the MRA; that some of these people have been led to believe that those ideologies are out to help the insecurities and sadness they may feel. There needs to be better education about feminism (and the fact that there are multiple kinds of feminism, etc.) to show just how much of it has everyone’s best interests at heart.

4 Likes

I found a lot of what you’ve written incredibly relevant, and I can empathise with a lot of those feelings, especially when it comes to growing up. I still have a lot of improving to do, and my attitudes still require challenging…but these days I’m thankful that I was quite feminine and almost asexual growing up…although at the time it made me feel seriously inadequate. I think I’ve got my parents to thank for this…including my dad who has been the antithesis of a “macho” man…and is someone I’ve become increasingly proud of as I’ve grown up. Really sorry to hear about all the phobic stuff you’ve endured over the years…it’s another thing we need to take responsibility for changing.

This is an interesting point when related to earlier discussion about what “masculinity” might be. Because it’s been ingrained for generations that certain characteristics are inherently positive…perhaps that makes it impossible to find positive male traits in the modern age, as they have always historically held an unfair advantage (not sure if I’ve explained myself very well there).

And wrt @shrewbie and @manches, I often find it incredibly frustrating when people try to link male suicide prevalence to “Men’s Rights”…as if all the other bullshit that they go on about isn’t the sort of stuff that directly contributes to that horrific statistic.

2 Likes

I have to admit that I hadn’t thought of this…

A quick Google search seems to point to Judith Halberstam being an important figure in this, so hopefully this extract is worth reading:

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/gustafson/FILM%20165A.W11/film%20165A[W11]%20readings%20/halbertsammasculinity.pdf

I totally agree with you that it is really messed up that people often make the MRA male suicide argument, as evidence that men have a harder time, or even it being directly linked to the growth of feminism, it is a completely vile argument. But it also bothers me that people, who quite rightly want to counter that argument, sometimes do it by trying to explain it away, by saying it is actually the methods men use that is the reason their attempts are more successful, or that women are actually more likely to suffer mental health problems and report suicidal thoughts, both completely true I am sure, but for me misses the point, it doesn’t matter what the precise percentages are of the ratio of men to women that fact is it is a big killer of young men (and women), and rather than this being somehow a criticism of feminism is actually totally inline with it, men are subject to gender expectations too, there is an awful pressure to ‘be a man’ whatever that means, coupled with real restrictions on being able to share emotions and ask for help, feminism doesn’t contribute to that it is trying to make that better

2 Likes

Quite like the idea that masculinity/femininity are purely expressions of sexuality/personality, i.e. a man or woman (or non-binary) can be as masculine or feminine as they like, across a whole spectrum of expression. I guess it’s kind of like the idea that our sex is inescapable, but how we express our gender should be entirely up to each individual.

2 Likes